DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   AVCHD Format Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/)
-   -   AVCHD Camcorder (around $1000) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/505382-avchd-camcorder-around-1000-a.html)

Mark Chafe February 19th, 2012 10:11 PM

AVCHD Camcorder (around $1000)

Hi All,

I have been putting off upgrading my old cameras since I do not do as much video production anymore, however I would like one or 2 nice camcorders for HD video. I have decided to go tapeless and I think with a Mac Book Pro i7 with 16GB of ram, I should be able to edit AVCHD with decent speed.

I have sold my Sony HVR-Z1U and selling off my PD150 and PD170. I would like something that size of a camera, but my budget right now doesn't allow me. As long as I have a big enough LCD and some manual controls I should be ok.

I have been looking at the Canon Vixia HF G10 at the moment since it has the most manual controls and also has a LANC port so I can still use my LANC controllers for tripod work. Anyone prefer the Sony CX700 or another sony model over the G10? Have tried the G10 before and the menu system is a bit cumbersome. I haven't tried the CX700 or any of the sony's.

Thanks
Mark

Glen Vandermolen February 19th, 2012 11:15 PM

Re: AVCHD Camcorder (around $1000)

Also consider the Panasonic 1/4" 3MOS HC-X900K or the older TM900K. They take very good video.

And the upcoming JVC GZ-GX1. It has a 1/2.3" chip, and can ever record at 300fps. And the GC-PX10.

Matt Sharp February 20th, 2012 01:21 AM

I have a CX700, but only got it over the G10 for it's 60p to match footage with my NX70U. If you're shooting in 60i or 24/30p the Canon would be a better choice.

James Kuhn February 20th, 2012 11:59 AM

I have a Canon Vixia HF S21 I don't use any more if you're interested? PM me and we can talk.

Regards,

J.

Terence Murphy February 24th, 2012 05:43 PM

I've moved from a Sony VX2100 and Z1U to CX700s, and am quite happy with them. It is a bit of a loss of manual controls, but I've found it to be tolerable. Picture quality is excellent, and low light is much better than my Z1 was (I shoot in the 60p mode). I certainly don't regret saving all the $$ compared to a NX5!

Your LANCs will work with an adapter.

-Terence

Michael Kraus February 25th, 2012 03:11 PM

I personally am REALLY interested in the JVC GX1 coming out in March. Spec wise it seems ideal for a budget AVCHD camcorder. I can't seem to find any clips or images from it though so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Lee Mullen February 26th, 2012 11:55 PM

Panny SD/TM900 are awesome

Ian Cope March 1st, 2012 04:01 PM

Panasonics 900 series are indeed an awesome camera, BUT have no LANC control.

Mark Chafe March 3rd, 2012 09:35 PM

Thanks for all the recommendations. I managed to rent the Canon HF G10 locally to try it out, but there is nowhere locally that sells the CX700. Any model similar to this? Also what is the menu interface like on the Sony? I have only used the Canon and have no experience with the sony handycams.

I would like to look at more cameras, but I would really like to continue using my LANC controllers on tripod work. I suppose I could rig up something for the wireless remotes, but i would prefer to use what I have if possible.

Also, people have been trying to get me to look at DSLR cameras for video as well. If they had proper controls for video I wouldn't mind so much, but they are possibly an option as well.

Its a very hard decision to step back from the manual controls I was used to with my bigger cameras, but for my budget right now, the picture quality is much better on the newer handycams not to pass them up.

Thanks again
Mark

Matt Sharp March 3rd, 2012 10:14 PM

Sony just announced their new handycams for this year and discontinued the CX700. The Replacement is the CX760 and it's not available until toward the end of the month.

At first glance the only spec bump it has over the CX700 is the googly eyed "balanced steadyshot" that's new this year on the PJ710, PJ760, and CX760.