Copying AVCHD back to SD card for camera playback? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old May 11th, 2012, 12:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Copying AVCHD back to SD card for camera playback?

G'day,

I have a Panasonic TM900 camera, and the other day recorded some footage to the internal memory, which I then copied to my computer, then deleted the files from the camera.

I would now like to show the footage to someone on a tv, rather than on my computer. I have been trying to copy the files onto an SD card (SDHC - a card I've used in the camera before), to then put into the camera, and play back on the tv, however the camera cannot see the files on the card...

I have looked up the file structure... (ie PRIVATE/AVCHD/BDMV/STREAM) As I copied the entire AVCHD folder, I figured I just needed a PRIVATE folder in the root directory, then put the AVCHD folder into it... But it's just not working.

If it makes a difference - I'm using a Mac...

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong? :}

cheers

Travis

Last edited by Travis Wheaton; May 11th, 2012 at 01:08 AM.
Travis Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 07:03 AM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Copying AVCHD back to SD card for camera playback?

In addition to the .MTS files in the STREAM folder you will likely need the corresponding Clip and Playlist files in their folders under the BDMV folder for the camcorder to see the video. Also, you will likely need to have the memory cade one that was formatted and managed in the camcorder, not a computer (yours maybe OK in this regard).

Usually utility software provided with the camcorder can do this; however, this can be a challenge on a MAC system if Panasonic did not provide MAC-compatible software with the system. Also, some MAC systems/software may import the MTS files to some other format on the computer. If so, then it may prove a challenge to return compliant AVCHD files to a camcorder from the MAC system.
Old May 11th, 2012, 10:00 AM   #3
Regular Crew

The disk was first used in the camera, so don't think there'd be too many issues there, though I haven't tried using the card since I had it in my Mac...

Indeed, Panasonic offer no software for Mac... I've been using ClipWrap on the mts files, as the only way to make them usable.

In this case though, I was working with untouched files, copied direct from the camera's internal card... so all the accompanying files etc should be in place and intact...

From Google searching, I see this has been somewhat of an issue since the arrival of AVCHD. Least I'm not alone.
Old May 11th, 2012, 01:08 PM   #4
Wrangler

I suspect that for every .MTS file in STREAM there should be a corresponding .CLP file in the CLIPINFO folder, and likely a .MPL file in the PLAYLIST folder. To the extent this one-to-one-to-one rlationship breaksdown, there maybe problems reading/finding the file. I know for a fact that FCP 6 will not see .MTS files that violate this. (But I have not tested it on a Panasonic camcorder yet.)

Might be worth trying to carry the files to a PC and use the Panasaonic software to put the files back on the card.

I also have observed that Apple/MAC tends to NOT play well with others. (Too busy selling iPODS, iPHONES and iPADS I guess.)

Lastly, SD/SDHC cards in camcorders appear to use a data storage format slightly different from what is typically used by a PC (possibly related to internal card storage addressing), The likely reason being to optimize write speed. Should a PC (or MAC) do anything to modify the camcorder's file/folder structure it could introduce issues.
Old May 11th, 2012, 04:16 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Mmm, I was wondering if it could be the fact that it was recorded on the internal card, now I'm trying to use an external SDHC card.

I might try putting the data back onto the camera itself...

(Though I've given in and left my computer to convert the files to AIC and then wirelessly transfer them to my AppleTV overnight... So I can at least achieve the objective of showing the footage on a tv...)
Old May 11th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki View Post
Should a PC (or MAC) do anything to modify the camcorder's file/folder structure it could introduce issues.
While most NLEs can print DV and HDV video to tape, I've not seen a single NLE that can print AVCHD video to flash. I believe this deficiency results from a lack of standardization in the AVCHD playback circuity between different cameras. Blu-ray players can play 60i but not the 60p files. Could you get 60p playback using AppleTV?
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 05:34 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Well my plans were thwarted anyways...

I downconverted the mts files to Apple Intermediary Codec files... which is what I do when editing in Final Cut Pro.

However, the AppleTV does not have this codec...

Eric, as I'm an Aussie, I went with 50p, which I believe the AppleTV could play, if it had the codec installed... (Though, I'm using the original AppleTV, so I'm not 100% sure it can handle full HD content... I seem to recall reading that it needs hardware acceleration to achieve this...)
Old May 12th, 2012, 09:33 AM   #8
Wrangler

[Quote}While most NLEs can print DV and HDV video to tape, I've not seen a single NLE that can print AVCHD video to flash. [/Quote]

FWIW: Edius 6 includes an AVCHD Writer capability as part of its "Print to File" export capability. The output of that module is a file/folder structure that, when copied to a DVD for example, can be ingested by FCP 6 and the AVCHD video used in a FCP project.

I have not yet tried to write to a flash card or flash memory in a camcorder. It does offers SD memory Card as one format option, and Memory Stick/HDD camcorder as the other. It is the latter format that I have used on DVD-R to send files to a friend with FCP 6.

As to Play List files, it appears that Panasonic creates one for each shooting session or Day. I see a separate MPL file for each day's videos on a SDHC card from a TM700.
Old May 12th, 2012, 09:51 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki View Post
FWIW: Edius 6 includes an AVCHD Writer capability as part of its "Print to File" export capability. The output of that module is a file/folder structure that, when copied to a DVD for example, can be ingested by FCP 6 and the AVCHD video used in a FCP project.
That's very interesting. The trouble seems not so much in authoring an AVCHD file structure, but in authoring one that plays back in the camcorder. Would you mind checking if the output from Edius plays on your camcorder?
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 07:17 AM   #10
Wrangler

Reading the TM700 manual, I do not hold out much hope for the Panasonic, but will try when I haev a chance.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion