DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   AVCHD Format Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/)
-   -   Alternate software for downloading/editing acvhd? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/515762-alternate-software-downloading-editing-acvhd.html)

Mark Yang April 11th, 2013 11:54 AM

Alternate software for downloading/editing acvhd?

I have had numerous problems with the software that comes with my vixia hf20 camcorder. I want to download and edit my avchd files in my media computer, but the camcorder software Imagemixer corrupts the PowerDVD blueware software presently installed (it has given me trouble in other computers as well).

What software do you guys use to download and edit avchd files from your camcorder? I've heard Sony Vegas works.

Mark Yang April 11th, 2013 12:19 PM

Re: Alternate software for downloading/editing acvhd?

I understand that avchd format has to be converted to another format before it can be edited in most video software

Steve Game April 11th, 2013 12:28 PM

Do you have access to a copy of Sony's 'Play Memories Home'?
I have a copy that came with my CX730E and it is quite happy to offer the same transfer facilities when I connect the Canon 550D.

Ron Evans April 11th, 2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Yang (Post 1790063)
I understand that avchd format has to be converted to another format before it can be edited in most video software

I have all Sony camcorders and the Sony software PMB, PlayMemories dowload fine. I think you should be able to download Playmemories from the Sony site. There is a way of doing it without having a Sony camcorder too I think. I can edit native AVCHD files in Edius, Vegas or Premiere no need to convert to anything else. You do need a reasonably powerful PC though.

Ron Evans

Roger Gunkel April 11th, 2013 02:14 PM

I use Panasonic and JVC cams and use both 2d &3d AVCHD files in Magix Movie Edit Pro, both the MX plus and 2013 plus vesions.

Roger

Mark Yang April 11th, 2013 03:25 PM

My camcorder is a Canon vixia. I have read that software that works for Sony doesn't always work for other camcorders.

Mark Yang April 11th, 2013 06:46 PM

So I'm a little reluctant to install Play Memories. But I did read that many editors recently have come around to handling avchd. Maybe I should download Play Memories and give it a shot. I don't need anything fancy, just something that can download the files from the canon, do a little editing, and burning disks. That Imagemixer software is nothing but trouble.

Rainer Listing April 12th, 2013 02:30 AM

Most popular consumer editing programs (like Movie Studio or Magix) handle straight AVCHD. Heck, even the latest Final Cut Pro X can handle AVCHD, if you're on a Mac. You still need a fast computer for smooth viewing. Don't waste your time with PlayMemories or Imagemixer.