Importing Timscode with AVCHD from DSLR at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old July 16th, 2013, 02:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Importing Timscode with AVCHD from DSLR

Hi,
I'm struggling with this. Recently I found out that I have to import the entire AVCHD folder structure from my DSLR card to keep the timecode and metadata - yet when I import into my video editing software it still doesn't carry over my timecode and all my clips start at 00:00:00:00.

What am I doing wrong?

Sony A57 & Premiere Pro CS5. Thanks.
Old March 18th, 2014, 05:40 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Importing Timscode with AVCHD from DSLR

Almost a year and no-one replies? Thanks for the help guys it was a simple question.

An answer such as "your camera does not support this - look in the manual" (which I have)
or "you need to do this" or "have a look at this other thread"

Sorry for sounding snappy as this is still an issue for me, I have no clue what I am doing wrong. I am recording using dual system and logging clips manually for creating sync markers is getting me down. Some help would be really appreciated, even if I did kick off above (for that I apologise but I am still frustrated and need help even if a point in the right direction)

Thank you,
Russ
Old March 18th, 2014, 07:19 AM   #3
Trustee

Just seen your post for the first time.

Just tried some footage off an A77. This is normally used for stills but I was curious so this test was of some interest. All the clips I shot and tested don't have time code in the sense of SMPTE code. In clip properties each clip starts at '0' seconds and then increments from there on upwards so you might end up with a clip time listing something like 24:01 seconds NOT 00:00:24:01. If I look at the clip’s data in Sony's Device Explorer I see the following info

Clip number - duration, in seconds - the date - the time and the size in MB

It appears the Sony Alpha cams do not record SMPTE time code that increments with every new clip. Plus the camera I have has no way of setting TC or re-setting TC in the sense of a pro video camera. Guess it's Sony's way of implementing video on still their cams... no TC as such. Therefore I guess it’s not an NLE issue if that’s what you were thinking.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 03:01 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Many thanks for your reply, I kind of knew it wasn't NLE related I was hopingi was doing something wrong. None of my clips have any kind of data, not even the data you can get on your camera. I've not installed the Sony device Explorer is it available on their website?

Thanks for your help

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion