DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   AVCHD Format Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/)
-   -   Convert .m2t flies to .mov (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/518475-convert-m2t-flies-mov.html)

David Barnett August 22nd, 2013 06:34 PM

Convert .m2t flies to .mov

Hi,

I've been shooting for a client who requests the files be sent to them as .mov files. I usually do my encoding with Adobe Media Encoder CS4, and when I do I choose the 'Quicktime HD' preset. Works well. Yet they followed up with me recently saying my files seem to be too large?? Well, I noticed when I converted them that they were a larger file size than the original .m2t file, but I don't see much options to compress the footage in AME, aside from maybe lowering the quality, which I'd rather not do. There are only a few codecs I have to choose from, the default is H.264.

Anyway, are there other conversion & compression options for me?? (Mpeg Streamclip?) and does it do it any better than AME? Does AME not offer compression while converting?! I'd rather not go thru 2 steps of converting then compressing.

Tom Abray August 23rd, 2013 03:30 PM

Re: Convert .m2t flies to .mov

How much larger are they? I also wonder why a larger file isn't acceptable to the client.

When you go into the settings in AME, down near the bottom of all the options, I think you can set an upper limit to the bitrate. You could try playing with that.

If they want a file that is a lot smaller, you could maybe use the Vimeo or Youtube preset in AME. Of course, you'll be losing a lot of quality.

David Barnett August 25th, 2013 07:51 AM

I think the larger files bog down their Macs. I have a 16gig RAM PC and admittedly it's a bit of a burder to scroll around in these, similar to large avi files I guess. They seem to be about double the sizeof the m2t file I think.

Thanks though, any estimate on a good bitrate to try adjusting it to? 10-20 or so?!

Tom Abray August 25th, 2013 06:50 PM

I tried it myself. When I convert an m2t file to QT H264 codec it increases the file size by 5 times. The 25Mbps bitrate (from my FS100) jumps to 118Mbps.

So I created a new preset with the same setting except I limited the bitrate to 26000kbps (note that it uses Kilobits not Megabits in that part of the dialogue box, which can be confusing). I tried this and it created a file that was roughly the same size as the original. I didn't inspect it too much, but the quality seems to be good.

Woody Sanford August 26th, 2013 08:45 PM

I usually transcode to the Cineform codec with adobe media encoder when asked for a .mov file. I'm also using a FS-100 and the file sizes I get for a Cinfeorm .mov is about the same as the original m2t files. Haven't had any complaints and its pretty fast. I'm using CS5 AME.

Shaun Roemich September 11th, 2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Barnett (Post 1809891)
I think the larger files bog down their Macs. I have a 16gig RAM PC and admittedly it's a bit of a burder to scroll around in these, similar to large avi files I guess.

h.264 is a SIGNIFICANTLY more complicated codec than MPEG-2 (your M2T files) and the complexity of EDITING h.264 is likely what is slowing down the edit computer, not the file size. ProRes at 220mbps FLIES through a Mac whereas 10mbps h.264 will bring my main edit computer to its "knees"

Nate Haustein September 11th, 2013 12:50 PM

Re-wrapping the AVCHD using ClipWrap will keep the files in their native quality and size but put them inside a .mov container. It is incredibly fast and maintains the otiginal quality. Mac only I think though...

Shaun Roemich September 11th, 2013 01:04 PM

Nate: AVCHD is MPEG-4 whereas M2T is MPEG-2 Transport Stream.

Robert Young September 11th, 2013 03:40 PM

I think that m2t/m2ts can also be a wrapper format.
For example, Sony Handycams record AVCHD (MP4/h.264), but the files are stored as, and export from the camera as .m2ts.
They are MP4/h.264 files in an m2ts container.

Shaun Roemich September 11th, 2013 07:10 PM

Well if you aren't correct, Robert.

I stand corrected. I've been at this too long!