Convert .m2t flies to .mov at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old August 22nd, 2013, 06:34 PM   #1
Major Player

Convert .m2t flies to .mov

Hi,

I've been shooting for a client who requests the files be sent to them as .mov files. I usually do my encoding with Adobe Media Encoder CS4, and when I do I choose the 'Quicktime HD' preset. Works well. Yet they followed up with me recently saying my files seem to be too large?? Well, I noticed when I converted them that they were a larger file size than the original .m2t file, but I don't see much options to compress the footage in AME, aside from maybe lowering the quality, which I'd rather not do. There are only a few codecs I have to choose from, the default is H.264.

Anyway, are there other conversion & compression options for me?? (Mpeg Streamclip?) and does it do it any better than AME? Does AME not offer compression while converting?! I'd rather not go thru 2 steps of converting then compressing.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 03:30 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: Convert .m2t flies to .mov

How much larger are they? I also wonder why a larger file isn't acceptable to the client.

When you go into the settings in AME, down near the bottom of all the options, I think you can set an upper limit to the bitrate. You could try playing with that.

If they want a file that is a lot smaller, you could maybe use the Vimeo or Youtube preset in AME. Of course, you'll be losing a lot of quality.
Tom Abray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 07:51 AM   #3
Major Player

I think the larger files bog down their Macs. I have a 16gig RAM PC and admittedly it's a bit of a burder to scroll around in these, similar to large avi files I guess. They seem to be about double the sizeof the m2t file I think.

Thanks though, any estimate on a good bitrate to try adjusting it to? 10-20 or so?!
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 06:50 PM   #4
New Boot

I tried it myself. When I convert an m2t file to QT H264 codec it increases the file size by 5 times. The 25Mbps bitrate (from my FS100) jumps to 118Mbps.

So I created a new preset with the same setting except I limited the bitrate to 26000kbps (note that it uses Kilobits not Megabits in that part of the dialogue box, which can be confusing). I tried this and it created a file that was roughly the same size as the original. I didn't inspect it too much, but the quality seems to be good.
Tom Abray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 08:45 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I usually transcode to the Cineform codec with adobe media encoder when asked for a .mov file. I'm also using a FS-100 and the file sizes I get for a Cinfeorm .mov is about the same as the original m2t files. Haven't had any complaints and its pretty fast. I'm using CS5 AME.
Woody Sanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 10:04 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Barnett View Post
I think the larger files bog down their Macs. I have a 16gig RAM PC and admittedly it's a bit of a burder to scroll around in these, similar to large avi files I guess.
h.264 is a SIGNIFICANTLY more complicated codec than MPEG-2 (your M2T files) and the complexity of EDITING h.264 is likely what is slowing down the edit computer, not the file size. ProRes at 220mbps FLIES through a Mac whereas 10mbps h.264 will bring my main edit computer to its "knees"
Old September 11th, 2013, 12:50 PM   #7
Trustee

Re-wrapping the AVCHD using ClipWrap will keep the files in their native quality and size but put them inside a .mov container. It is incredibly fast and maintains the otiginal quality. Mac only I think though...
Old September 11th, 2013, 01:04 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Nate: AVCHD is MPEG-4 whereas M2T is MPEG-2 Transport Stream.
Old September 11th, 2013, 03:40 PM   #9
Trustee

I think that m2t/m2ts can also be a wrapper format.
For example, Sony Handycams record AVCHD (MP4/h.264), but the files are stored as, and export from the camera as .m2ts.
They are MP4/h.264 files in an m2ts container.
Old September 11th, 2013, 07:10 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Well if you aren't correct, Robert.

I stand corrected. I've been at this too long!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion