DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   AVCHD Format Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/)
-   -   How do I split Avchd files in PP cc (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/532160-how-do-i-split-avchd-files-pp-cc.html)

David Ruhland June 29th, 2016 06:56 AM

How do I split Avchd files in PP cc

I am new to Adobe PP. ( coming from Sony Vegas Pro)

I have the AVCHD file. It has 15 clips in it. I only want clips 6 and 7

I can drag them from media browser to the timeline/sequence for export

My question is -- what format do I export them as to keep it as an "untouched" file

If there is an easier way to do please let me know.

John Wiley June 29th, 2016 04:29 PM

Re: How do I split Avchd files in PP cc

Hi David,

I'm not sure I understand your request.

Do you mean you have a spanned AVCHD file which has 15 individual clips (which would be roughly 2-3 hours long in total)?

If so can just locate the individual 2GB clips in your OS browser by looking in the "stream" folder. Then you can drag them and drop them to wherever you need them, without any need for rendering or transcoding.

Apologies if I have completely misunderstood your question.

David Ruhland June 29th, 2016 06:42 PM

Thanks John...

I have an SD card that has several different events on it . They are all from different dates. I simply want to copy render, export two of the clips -clips number 6 and 7. And discard the rest. Is there an easy way to do this. .

John Wiley June 30th, 2016 01:04 AM

Do those two clips need to be joined, or can they remain as separate files? Are those two clips the only ones from that date/recording? Or are clips 4-9 (for example) all segments of one long spanned clip but you only want the footage from clips 6 & 7? And by clips 6 & 7, do you mean 0006.mts & 0007.mts (anything else means the original AVCHD file structure will be lost)? Do those particular clips need any further trimming, editing, watermarking, etc, or do you just want the footage as-shot, straight off the cameras SD card?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions but I still don't understand what it is you'd like to do. Depending on the scenario, you might be able to just drag and drop files straight of the card/HDD, or you might have to expert from Premiere. If it's the latter, there's no way to get an "untouched" file, as any form of re-encoding will result in some lost data - though it will be visually lossless as long as you choose the right codec.

David Ruhland July 1st, 2016 04:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I simply want to download only files 6 and 7 and discard the the rest. i cant drag and drop. I think you are onto something when you say Export from Premiere

So if i go the Export from Premiere route what codec should i use to keep it visually lossless?

Thanks for all your help so far!

Jay Massengill July 1st, 2016 06:02 AM

I'm not sure why you can't simply drag and drop the files. Where are you trying to drop them? Only into your new editor? Into another file folder on your computer? Are you transferring the files to someone who can't make use of mts files?

This is normally an easy file operation that I've done with every project since I started using card-based cameras in 2009. I simply copy the individual clips to either my computer or an external hard drive. Then "load" them into the editor.

How did you previously do this in Vegas? I also use Vegas (since 2001) but I'm unfamiliar with Premier Pro. Do you still have access to Vegas? Is this a new camera too?

If the two files are from a continuous recording and need to be stitched together after copying from the card, you can use MTS File Joiner. It's free and easy.

To export the clips from your editing timeline as something other than mts, I would either render to a very high bitrate mp4 or if file size is not a concern I would use a very high bitrate avi.

As already mentioned, any rendering to something other than mts will be some change of the file but most likely unnoticeable if a high enough bitrate is used.

You could output to a lossless logarith avi, but then the file size will be gigantic.

David Ruhland July 1st, 2016 03:22 PM

Well i CAN drag and drop the files on my WINDOWS PC, but not the MAC... dont know why, but it doesnt matter now cause i was able to get the two files i wanted! Thanks everyone... OH and the files are coming out of a Sony A6000

Jay Massengill July 2nd, 2016 06:24 AM

Ah... a mac. I understand now. Glad you got it worked out. If you think your solution would be helpful to someone else running into the same situation, describe briefly how you got around it.