AVCHD -- new HD format from Sony & Panasonic - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old May 14th, 2006, 07:19 AM   #46
Major Player

I don't know if it would be the same codec because the panasonic codec is called AVC-Intra (i-frame based) and not AVCHD (this could be codec based)
Old May 14th, 2006, 06:20 PM   #47
Inner Circle

So, it says the codec to be used in the HVX200 is AVC-intra, not just for the pro-camera Pana codec in general?
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2006, 07:02 PM   #48
Major Player

http://home.nestor.minsk.by/computer...6/04/2402.html

This is one of the more detailed articles about AVC-Intra.
Old May 15th, 2006, 11:45 AM   #49
Trustee

there was a post last month from someone who claimed to be Steve Mahrer (Panasonic Broadcast)... i'm not going to put up the link, 'cause i don't know if that's kosher out here, but he said it was going to be the h.264 hi-10 profile, which is 10-bit 4:2:0... i believe that he inferred that it would be 50 Mbps?

he pointed out that since it has an intra frame structure, it will be a lot easier to encode/decode, which is contrary to some of the things that have been said out here about h.264.

he also stated that the panasonic booth at nab would be playing 16 Mbps h.264 on a 65" 1920x1080 plasma monitor... did anyone see that footage?
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 11:57 AM   #50
Obstreperous Rex

Sure, you can post that link, but AVC-Intra is not the same thing as AVCHD.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:28 PM   #51
Inner Circle

Intra means that it compresses each frame separately, unlike the AVCHD which compresses across frames for motion and higher efficiency. Intra is less efficient, why they have higher data rates, but it is easier to edit and has more consistent quality under extreme scenes, where the higher efficiency of inter coding (AVCHD) can't compress highly complex unstatic scenes enough to fit into the smaller 19mb/s stream.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:32 PM   #52
Regular Crew

more on the AVCHD format!

http://lifestyle.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=5620
Sina Basy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:01 PM   #53
Major Player

great find, thanks!

This is a great article - wow - nice info - so any guesses then how much 1080/24p will fit on 1 DVD-R since they postulate it's 720p or 1080i that will be 12-20 minutes...???

I'm guessing from what they're saying it will be less - maybe 8 min?
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:16 PM   #54
Obstreperous Rex

Yeah, sure appreciate you posting that link (and welcome to DV Info Net). That's probably the best of all the various AVCHD articles I've seen so far.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 08:27 AM   #55
Trustee

will the quality be comparable or better than today's HDV codec?
Old May 16th, 2006, 12:01 PM   #56
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yi Fong Yu
will the quality be comparable or better than today's HDV codec?
Quality should be substantially superior to today's HDV.

H.264 is generally twice as efficient as MPEG-2 at the same bitrate. So 18mbps H.264 should be equivalent to somewhere around 36mbps of MPEG-2; HDV only offers 19 or 25 megabits. AVC-HD offers the same 4:2:0 color sampling and the same 8-bit color depth, but it adds full-raster resolution, true 24p support, and more efficient encoding. AVC-HD is going to be the replacement for HDV.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 12:29 PM   #57
Regular Crew

IMO

1/ this format will be better exploited with HARD DISK DRIVES rather that DVDs....and i have some hints that this is what the next gen of ProSumer and Pro cams are going to have...

2/ independently of the Througput, the quality of the codec IMPLEMENTATION is key. As we already saw many times, due to the REAL TIME encoding situation, compliant compressed stream are often delivered, which are FAR WORSE than what can be achieved by an async encoder. ( For the worse, look at the sanyo encoder on HD1)... so we bettre see before elaborating on abstarc specs...

3/ AVCHD editing is going, IMOO, to be the key acceptance factor for this new format. Or will the guys at Cineform support this as just another input format for their wawelet encoder?
Pierre Barberis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 12:58 PM   #58
Trustee

will it take more processing to edit mpeg4's? my experience with divx/xvid playback (a mpeg4 variant) has been very pleasant and low CPU-intensive. much less than H.264 playback.

PS just like HD/BR disc format war, now us DV creators will face a codec war =(. i wonder if XL H1 can take advantage of the codec through SDI out.
Old May 16th, 2006, 01:02 PM   #59
Major Player

4:2:0 - the future looks pale... my grandpa's super-8 footage of myself
as toddler looks crisp and fresh compared to DV of my three year old son...
Old May 16th, 2006, 07:24 PM   #60
Barry Wan Kenobi

There are two different systems under discussion here. What Panasonic has planned for their big cameras is an I-frame-only version of H.264, probably 10-bit 4:2:2, no GOP issues and no motion artifacting issues. They'll have an upgrade codec board available for the HPC2000 that will let it use this new H.264 format.

AVC-HD is something entirely different. That's the new consumer-oriented format designed to replace HDV; Sony plans to record it to mini-DVDs, Panasonic may also do mini-DVDs but they've announced that they'll record it to SD cards too. AVC-HD is an 8-bit, 4:2:0 codec (like HDV), but it's based on H.264 instead of MPEG-2 so it should be about twice as efficient at encoding; an 18-megabit stream of H.264 AVC-HD may be able to match 35 megabits of MPEG-2. AVC-HD also has a few more things going for it over HDV; it offers uncompressed audio, or Dolby 5.1 AC-3 audio recording, and it offers a native 24p mode in both 1080 and 720 resolutions, and it records the full raster. Sony and Panasonic both have eventual eyes towards recording AVC-HD on blu-ray discs, and apparently AVC-HD material will play on a blu-ray player. But blu-ray camcorders can't happen yet because affordable blu-ray isn't ready yet, so they're launching the format initially on mini-DVDR and on SD cards.
Barry Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion