AVCHD Z2/DVX rumors? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old June 1st, 2006, 03:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

AVCHD Z2/DVX rumors?

I'm really surprised AVCHD hasn't gotten more attention and excitement. It's said not to have the artifact problems of HDV,1080 24P is supported, and it records to mini DVD or SD memory cards - not expen$ive P2 cards.

So, does anybody know of any rumors when we'll see a AVCHD Z2 or DVX? I asked Jan from Panasonic and got ignored. It used to be, you could find good accurate information when some new camera was coming. I remember leaks from Japan, someone knowing someone who works for Sony, or confidential asides from "someone in the know". Good upcoming camera info doesn't seem to happen anymore. They just appear. Prove me wrong.
John Trent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 04:42 PM   #2
Regular Crew

just google avchd, theres information out there.
Old June 2nd, 2006, 03:42 AM   #3
Major Player

they are just trying to sell their old stock.
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 07:23 AM   #4
Major Player

so after reading about this do you think this well be more of a consumer type thing? More for Handycams?

Also any idea's when it might hit the market.
Old June 5th, 2006, 11:51 AM   #5
Regular Crew

A google search turned up nothing I hadn't read in the initial press releases at Camcorderinfo. Sony has something in development and Panasonic says late this year, early next year, neither company mentioning what kind of models.

I've been asking about rendering times of DVFilmmaker on PAL Sony HDV footage on the forums and I can't get a straight answer, so I guess asking about something like this is completely pointless.
John Trent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 07:59 PM   #6
New Boot

I'm not really excited about this. I don't see what the big deal is except for consumers who don't want to edit.

1. Isn't this a format that is a stop-gap measure to provide a product for those that like the convenience of direct to disc recording and HD at the same time, with a result for consumer camcorders?

2. I know this h.264 an "efficient" codec, but the bit rate is slower than HDV. Despite this, why do some of you love this codec so much? Does it carry more color information at 1080 lines? For example, is it better than HDV 1080 at 60i for someone who could care less about seeing flickering and chopped up motion to simulate film? Are you guys electronic engineers so you can analyze bit rates of codecs? Where do you get the idea that this is better than HDV?

Please help me out. I can't see the emporer's clothes. Please provide the source for your conclusion that this is better.

Last edited by Dale Connelly; June 5th, 2006 at 09:15 PM.
Dale Connelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 08:55 PM   #7
Major Player

Probably more of a Best Buy model, but you never know. Why couldn't you edit with it?
Old June 5th, 2006, 09:13 PM   #8
New Boot

You can edit this. This is just intended for direct to disk recording, which has a convenience factor of being able to take out the DVD disk and putting it straight into the ______ HD player if it can handle it.
Dale Connelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 04:56 AM   #9
Kino-Eye

F.y.i.

Panasonic Press Release of AVCHD Basic Specs (Dated May 11, 1006):
http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...02006070009078

Panasonic Press Release of AVCHD onto SD cards (Dated May 11, 1006):
http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...02006065257150

The first press release provides the details of the basic spec, " The format employs MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 codec for video compression, and Dolby Digital (AC-3) or Linear PCM for audio codec ..." and the second press release states that Panasonic "has begun developing technology to record digital HD (high-definition) images onto SD Memory Cards, following the AVCHD standard for HD digital video cameras" these product development cycles take at least a year or so, and if multiple partners are involved... a little longer.
Old June 6th, 2006, 07:43 AM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tames
Panasonic Press Release of AVCHD Basic Specs (Dated May 11, 1006)
Wow, Panasonic invented AVCHD 1,000 years ago! ;-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 10:23 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Ya, I wonder what Da Vinci that about THAT!
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 10:44 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
The extra 1,000 years it took to develop such things was largely due to the repression of Science by those protecting their power in other areas.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 05:47 AM   #13
Kino-Eye

Those fat fingers are good for a laugh now and then.
Old June 7th, 2006, 11:04 PM   #14
Trustee

A lot of the stuff that’s been mentioned about the AVCHD format can be found here:
http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=67127

As you all know AVCHD will replace the HDV standard in consumer HD camcorders by Sony and I bet it will definitely be on the successors to the Z1u/FX1 camcorders. This is also the format that Panasonic will use in all of their camcorders from now on. So expect to see a DVX100 type camcorder by possibly the end of this year.

Also if I’m correct that this format will blow away the HDV format than expect to see it on professional camcorders before it makes it way to consumer camcorders because it wouldn’t be a good idea to see a consumer camcorder with a better compression than a professional camcorder.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 05:59 AM   #15
New Boot

How did you conclude that this will blow HDV away?
Dale Connelly is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion