consumer vs. professional formats, and 24p again. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old July 18th, 2006, 02:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

consumer vs. professional formats, and 24p again.

Check this out

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...Camcorders.htm

Cheers

Hans
Old July 18th, 2006, 02:26 PM   #2
Trustee

Yes, I saw that. Too bad there's no more info to be found anywhere. I'm very curious about it.
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 03:10 PM   #3
Major Player

NYC conference.

Full details prob within 8 or10hrs from Tokyo Sony announcement IMO.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 03:31 PM   #4
Inner Circle

The HDR-SR1 sounds interesting. What are current editing options for footage from these cameras?
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 03:47 PM   #5
Barry Wan Kenobi

Most interesting is that they addressed the short-record-time thing head on. In the DVD version they're using double-layer, which they say lets them get 1 hour of recording time (wonder what the bitrate is at that though? 6 megabits maybe?)

Then they introduced a hard-disk model too. They claim up to 10 hours of recording time on that (30gb hard disk?)
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 04:05 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I hope these have better manual control than their Standard Def counterparts.

That, and better low-light than the Sanyo HD1.

EDIT: looks like they brought back the manual focus ring, dedicated mic and headphone jacks :)
Solomon Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #7
HD for Indies

AVCHD data rate, thoughts on the format

Barry - I think 6 mbit is definitely in the ballpark - just running the math:

1.4 GB is single layer, therefore
2.8 GB is a reasonable guess for dual layer
divide 2.8/3.6 converts GB/hr to MB/sec, (that's a handy bit o' math to remember, BTW/FYI)
multiply by 8 to get megabits/sec - 6.3

I've posted some thoughts on the new format over at hdforindies -

http://www.hdforindies.com/2006/07/f...amcorders.html

Will update as more info emerges.

The biggest issue I see is this - OK folks....how are we going to edit this stuff? Native NLE support is how many months away at best?

As for the hard drive - 30GB sounds about right as well at this data rate....unless they are dropping the data rate even lower (as the statement implies) and it is a smaller drive.

-mike
http://www.hdforindies.com
mike@hdforindies.com
Mike Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 04:21 PM   #8
Major Player

Count me in as a HDR-SR1 fan. I want decent recording times and no media to exchange.

I didn't think they'd have product so fast. My goodness, well next years going to be a HD explosion for me I guess.
Harrison Murchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 04:32 PM   #9
HD for Indies

on AVCHD

Harrison - what would you want to use it for - home movie stuff? At this point, the format is pretty much uneditable as far as I can tell - perhaps Sony will bundle something with the cameras?

As far as I can tell, you can play discs off the camera connected to TV, or copy to computer and play from there. But editing? Somebody please let me know what's possible, now or in the near future (anything beyond NLE vendors' "expressed interest")?

Not picking on you, just trying to understand the usage case.

-mike
http://www.hdforindies.com
mike@hdforindies.com
Mike Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 04:56 PM   #10
Wrangler

Note: I've had to do some editing here. For legal reasons, please don't post information about how to access "secret folders" on other websites.

Thanks.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 05:56 PM   #11
Barry Wan Kenobi

For editing, I would certainly expect that the reason Sony Vegas 7 wasn't introduced at NAB, but instead was delayed until later this year, would be to add AVC-HD support... just a guess, but I'd be surprised if I was wrong.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 06:23 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Curtis
Harrison - what would you want to use it for - home movie stuff? At this point, the format is pretty much uneditable as far as I can tell - perhaps Sony will bundle something with the cameras?

As far as I can tell, you can play discs off the camera connected to TV, or copy to computer and play from there. But editing? Somebody please let me know what's possible, now or in the near future (anything beyond NLE vendors' "expressed interest")?

Not picking on you, just trying to understand the usage case.

-mike
It's cool Mike I know you're a standup guy. I'm only looking at this for consumer "video of the kids" stuff. In fact Sony and Panny will most likely position this as strictly a consumer format. That way they don't step on the toes of their Pro gear.

Long term I'm looking forward to seeing what Panny can do with AVC-Intra but the first products coming will be way beyond my budget.
Harrison Murchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 06:28 PM   #13
Inner Circle

I think Cineform has suggested they'll move quickly to support new formats like this, and their past track record seems pretty good on that point. Canopus has also been doing a competent job of incorporating multiple formats, but probably not as quickly.

I'm not keen on the idea of trying to edit MPEG4 video given how tough it is to work with MPEG2, but solutions will no doubt be forthcoming. What I'd like to know is when we might see more professional cameras based on this recording format, like the one proposed by Panasonic.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 08:20 PM   #14

Didn't know the news/model numbers were leaking already, but our NDA doesn't expire until the announcement tomorrow.
Suffice it to say for now, these are *consumer* camcorders. Not professional by *any* stretch of the imagination. Doesn't mean they're not useable, but they are built for, aimed at, and supported for mom/pop shooters.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 08:49 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Curtis
Barry - I think 6 mbit is definitely in the ballpark - just running the math:

1.4 GB is single layer, therefore
2.8 GB is a reasonable guess for dual layer
divide 2.8/3.6 converts GB/hr to MB/sec, (that's a handy bit o' math to remember, BTW/FYI)
multiply by 8 to get megabits/sec - 6.3

I've posted some thoughts on the new format over at hdforindies -

http://www.hdforindies.com/2006/07/f...amcorders.html

Will update as more info emerges.

The biggest issue I see is this - OK folks....how are we going to edit this stuff? Native NLE support is how many months away at best?

As for the hard drive - 30GB sounds about right as well at this data rate....unless they are dropping the data rate even lower (as the statement implies) and it is a smaller drive.

-mike

There is also some discussion on the recent announcement of 1 hour of HD on 4GB, which is about 9Mb/s. But I mention that on the Ambarella site they also talk about HD in 6 mbit/s (I think) so I fear that this is also possible, and undesirable:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....8&postcount=93
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion