Panasonic Announces HDC-SD1 AVCHD Camcorder - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old November 10th, 2006, 06:58 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet
I still say the best workflow is to use an Intensity card and capture the AVCHD through HDMI into a mjpeg based Blackmagic HD AVI file and edit that way.
That's what I was thinking too Thomas. Do you know if you can capture directly to Blackmagic's JPEG codec from the camera or do you have to first capture uncompressed and then transcode? I couldn't find this answer on their Intensity site and am about to Email them about it.

It would be great of course like you say to capture directly to a JPEG codec as you wouldn't need a disk array like with the uncompressed.
Wes Vasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2006, 09:16 AM   #17
Inner Circle

I talked to my local store today, and was told that Panasonic plans a range of hard drive cameras next year, and that JVC might have their HD hard drive camera out by Christmas.

Intensity will record to Photo Jpeg live as far as I know. It was discussed in the news thread on the AVCHD that was taken down to be repaired. Chris was planning to put it back up again, but it looks like it didn't. It had most of the answers on Intensity's HDMI capture.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2006, 09:18 AM   #18
Inner Circle

I'm still curious, will this HDMI be interlace?
Old November 10th, 2006, 09:36 AM   #19
Major Player

The Panasonic site says it sends 1080i or 480p out over HDMI, whatever that means.
Old November 10th, 2006, 05:20 PM   #20
Trustee

Besides the included memory card I think the other reason why the HDC-SD1 is more expensive is because it’s more attractive to the consumer because of the compact size and the DVD version looks awkward. At least that’s my opinion.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2006, 10:10 PM   #21
Inner Circle

I agree, but the reality should be different, the disk mechanism costs, and the disks cost less.

Wes, can we trust that to be the full story.

Unless it has progressive, I think I will skip now. I would prefer 50fps progressive.
Old November 10th, 2006, 11:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira
Besides the included memory card I think the other reason why the HDC-SD1 is more expensive is because it’s more attractive to the consumer because of the compact size and the DVD version looks awkward. At least that’s my opinion.
True, however, they're also banking on the fact some consumers will want a camcorder that will provide "instant gratification" to those who simply want to pop the 8cm DVD disc out of the camcorder and then insert it into a Blu-ray Disc player and watch the high definition display.

But I agree the DVD version looks odd.

The official page for that model is here:

http://panasonic.jp/dvc/dx1/

Jerry Jones
http://www.jonesgroup.net
Jerry Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 05:16 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Morellini
I agree, but the reality should be different, the disk mechanism costs, and the disks cost less.

Wes, can we trust that to be the full story.

Unless it has progressive, I think I will skip now. I would prefer 50fps progressive.
I can't see how it aquires anything but 1080i. There doesn't seem to be any info anywhere that would say otherwise but we'll have to wait and see to be sure I suppose. I would prefer progressive but at least they included HDMI and a Microphone port. Can't wait to see what the video looks like.
Old December 7th, 2006, 05:42 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Vasher
Can't wait to see what the video looks like.
Stills appear to look like this:
http://www.simplydv.co.uk/newsitems/...c-sd1_dx1.html
I look forward to seeing some motion stuff somewhere!
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 05:07 PM   #25
Inner Circle

If it has video quality like that, it would be acceptable. This is what I expected from the higher latitude, bigger sensor pads, in the pixel shifted CCD's. Looks like the Sanyo HD1 a little, but without the compromises. But video quality can always be dumbed down.

Too expensive, if they only had progressive 1080 24mb/s, or half the price. As it is it has to compete with better HDV cameras. I would love to see the video reviews.
Old December 7th, 2006, 06:39 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Interesting that the bulkier but cheaper DVD model has a viewfinder and the SD model does not -- though I am not sure how useful it is with the battery sticking out of the back.

The SD-1 is attractive for me, but I would like to know what Sanyo's next move will be. I have certainly been pleased with the HD-1, and AVCHD seen so far doesn't look that fabulous on the HDTV.
Peter Solmssen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 01:40 PM   #27
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Solmssen
The SD-1 is attractive for me, but I would like to know what Sanyo's next move will be. I have certainly been pleased with the HD-1, and AVCHD seen so far doesn't look that fabulous on the HDTV.
Lest not forget that Samsung has yet to release their own H.264 camcorder and so far it’s been delayed.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 09:42 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Solmssen
Interesting that the bulkier but cheaper DVD model has a viewfinder and the SD model does not -- though I am not sure how useful it is with the battery sticking out of the back.

Maybe they will all show at CES (Samsung Sanyo, JVC). The Panasonics are coming in March in the States. Maybe the other cameras will be similar. I wish they would put a HD1a like camera in a Pocket PC phone (but much better, like 19mb/s, fast aperture, better sensor).
Old December 9th, 2006, 03:59 PM   #29
Regular Crew

FL of the new Pani corders?

Does anyone know how to translate the listed FL for this new Pani camcorder into 35mm equivalent?

Is the conversion just the ratio of the 1/4" to 35mm (5.51:1)? I don't this so because the #'s just don't 'add up' given the stated FL's of Does anyone know how to translate the listed FL for this new Pani camcorder into 35mm equivalent? The listed FL is 3-30 mm.

Thanks
JohnG

Last edited by John Godden; December 9th, 2006 at 07:03 PM.
John Godden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 11:37 AM   #30
New Boot

Pana SD1 AVCHD

Hello,

I had the opportunity to use one during one day, and my first (and ok.. very light) sensations are :

1- I small, looks very close to a HC3 very different from previous Pana SD Card camcorder
2- no viewfinder, small but good screen
3- obvious command organization, no need to open the book
4- can accept a mic (mic input)
5- rather quick start

for the rest it's like any other small camcorder.

The results ar rather good. I've been immensely disappointed by Sony AVCHD that provides good images by good light but has a high, too high, far too high noise level as soon s the light goes down
It's not a measurement -like advice, just my eyes advice but Panasonic noise level seem much much better
By good light the images are surprisingly good.

I think its a rather good camera probably better then the Sony

The problem right now is the software to convert files I've not seen it but I've been told that it's no way better than the Sony one and the Sony one is awful.

Luc
Luc Saint-Elie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion