AVCHD Questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old November 10th, 2006, 07:29 AM   #1
Major Player

AVCHD Questions

Hi there,

Just some questions about AVCHD, which maybe you guys with the equipment could illuminate me on.

1. What is the folder/file structure on the DVD? Any chance of a fully expanded Windows Explorer window to glance at?

2. Is there any kind of user-definable menu system or do you just get a collection of videos on a preset menu, or do you just get one continuous video?

3. What bitrate limitations are there? Are the files broadly compliant in HD format with BD - eg, 720p/60, 1080p/30, 1080i/60 etc?

BTW... AVCHD disks are confirmed playable in PlayStation 3: http://manuals.playstation.net/docum...deo/video.html
Old November 11th, 2006, 01:17 PM   #2

most of the questions you're asking are relevant to the authoring application you'll use to author the BD for playstation/BD DVD player.
The camcorders themselves don't offer menu buttons, etc. In other words, if you shoot your movie and put the disc in your BD/Playstation, you'll only access files, but no menus. It's just a sequential play through.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 01:33 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the reply. I understand that some of these cameras shoot straight to DVD? I'm guessing therefore that on these discs, there's just a list of files? Is there no directory structure on that disc, ie are the files saved somewhere other than the root directory?

Could you take a Windows Explorer shot of an AVCHD DVD so I can see what goes where?
Richard Leadbetter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion