DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   AVCHD Format Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/)
-   -   Problem Sony HDR-SR1 SD Video Edit/Burn Premiere Elements (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/82300-problem-sony-hdr-sr1-sd-video-edit-burn-premiere-elements.html)

Gregory Wilder December 21st, 2006 11:46 PM

Problem Sony HDR-SR1 SD Video Edit/Burn Premiere Elements

Hello, I am having a problem I hope you can help me with.

I have a Sony HDR-SR1, Windows XP Pro, and Premiere Elements 3.0 from Adobe. I am recording all my video in AVCHD and transferring to my PC with Sony's Picture motion browser. Able to play HD video great on my PC using PowerDVD 7.

Scenario # 1 - I use Sony Picture Motion browser. Select several HD clips. Select "DVD Creation". It converts to SD and burns my DVD's. These DVD's play very nicely on my DVD player connected to my Sony Plasma TV. (of course I understand the DVD is in SD, but video still looks great)

Scenario # 2 - I again use Sony Picture Motion browser. Select several HD clips. Select "Convert to MPEG and Save". High quality NTSC is selected. It converts video clips to same name but with .MPG (SD). I bring these SD clips into Adobe Premiere Elements 3. Do some editing. Clips and movie play just fine on PC monitor. Then I author my DVD. I then burn my DVD within APE3 (selecting NTSC DV template high quality - also tried NTSC DV Widescreen template). DVD creates and burns just fine. BUT now I have a problem when playing the burned DVD in my DVD player. When there is any motion in the video, it basically breaks up. Jerky and tearing apart when any motion at all. Video just looks horrible.

Other video from my Sony TRV950 and Panasonic DV camcorders works just great in Premiere, and DVD's look great.

Just the video from the Converted AVCHD to SD and then brought into Premiere Elements has a problem.

In summary ----- So if I let the Sony software create SD DVD directly, video looks great on my DVD/Plasma. But if I let the Sony software create MPEGs, then try to bring into Premiere and create DVD, the DVD looks horrible in my DVD/Plasma.

Am I missing something simple?

Thanks in advance...
Edit/Delete Message

Guy Bruner December 22nd, 2006 07:55 AM

I suspect your problem is in APE. Probably something in the render or DVD authoring settings. If the MPEG2 files play fine after you edit (and you haven't exceeded a 9 Mbps bitrate), then probably is in the DVD authoring.

Gregory Wilder December 22nd, 2006 10:36 AM

Field Order Problem?

I think I may have found the issue, and it is related to the field order of the clips.

I also have Vegas 7/DVD-A, so I brought the clips in and was able to burn a DVD just fine with no flicker or tearing. So I looked closely at the clip properties of both my DV-AVI files, and the SR1-MPG. on the DV-AVI, the field order is LOWER first. On the SR1-MPG, the field order is UPPER first.

So I tried premiere elements again. I went into each SR1-MPG clip, and changed the "Reverse field dominance" flag. Then reburned the clips using premiere, and they seem to work fine now.

So it seems maybe Vegas/DVD-A is automatically handling the field order flags, where-as Premiere has to be set manually.

Also, another question. When authoring a DVD, do I change from Interlaced to Progressive?

Thanks for the suggestions..
Greg