Sony Vegas AVCHD support: May 01-07 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old May 1st, 2007, 11:15 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Guy, you're kidding right? I was expecting to be able to directly import the .MTS file to the timeline...
Michael Eskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:52 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Bruner View Post
Don't bust a gut. It only works on Sony cams.
???????? 7e?
Derek Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 02:16 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eskin View Post
Guy, you're kidding right? I was expecting to be able to directly import the .MTS file to the timeline...
The update is now out. It states "AVCHD for video recorded with Sony cameras."
Old May 1st, 2007, 02:36 PM   #19
Regular Crew

OK, so who will be the first to install it and report back? :-)
Old May 1st, 2007, 02:48 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
I will. Vegas 7e does not let you import AVCHD files recorded from a Pany SD1.

Well, the slog and burden continues. Should have stuck with standard HDV. I guess the FX1 will be dusted off again.
Old May 1st, 2007, 02:56 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Guess I'm going to have to buy that copy of Cineform after all... Oh well.
Old May 1st, 2007, 04:04 PM   #22

Quote:
Other than questions about non-Sony AVCHD cams, what would you like to know? Been running 7e in various builds for quite a while now.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 05:19 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Douglas, if you already have 7.0d and are happy with the app, is there any particularly compelling reason to upgrade? I'd hate to break a stable setup.
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:20 PM   #24

Quote:
Douglas, if you already have 7.0d and are happy with the app, is there any particularly compelling reason to upgrade? I'd hate to break a stable setup.
Michael,
There are several additional bug fixed/updates:
Notable Fixes/Changes in Version 7.0e

Added support for editing files recorded with Sony AVCHD camcorders.
Added snapping to speaker locations for Film style panning.
Added support for multichannel audio in WMA/WMV files. When you add a 5.1 Windows Media file to a stereo project, the stereo downmix stream is loaded by default; when adding to a 5.1 surround project, audio will be added to separate tracks for the center, front, rear, and LFE channels.
Export to PSP® (PlayStation® Portable) now supports writing to the \VIDEO folder and includes a PSP full-screen template (supported in PSP® firmware 3.30 or higher).
Improved encoding quality in the MainConcept AVC/AAC renderer when using a constant bit rate.
Fixed a visual issue with rotated 2D images being scaled down very small.
Fixed a crash that could occur when using Ctrl+NumPad keys with the Surround Panner if no track had focus.
Fixed an issue with normalizing events that had a very small, silent looped portion.
The My Documents folder is now the default capture location for SDI and HDV captures.
Fixed an issue with rendered XDCAM IMX files to ensure they play back from an XDCAM deck.
Fixed an issue that could cause the wrong frame to be displayed on an external monitor when playing back outside of the active loop region.
Fixed a potential buffer overrun with some ASIO drivers.
Fixed an issue opening some Ogg Vorbis audio files.
Fixed a crash that could occur while trying to recapture offline XDCAM media files during project load.
Fixed a crash that could occur while replacing media with media with fewer audio channels.
Fixed a DV video capture issue that could cause captured NTSC clips to be misidentified as PAL.
Fixed a DV video capture issue that could prevent starting timecode from being detected.
Fixed an issue identifying the Plextor-755 drive for CD audio extraction.

If none of these issues impact you, and you don't have a Sony AVCHD camcorder, there is little reason to upgrade. but I've been running 7e in various builds for quite a while now. No issues on several machines
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:05 PM   #25
Regular Crew

No Blue Ray nor HD DVD support from what I can tell which sort of defeats the purpose, dont you want to watch HD with an HD DVD player? Come on Sony, cheesy ole Nero burns nice little Blue Ray and HD DVDs with menues, get with the program if youre claiming to be worth even messing with HD formats.

What are we supposed to do, shoot and edit HD and then dig out our old 480P DVD players and watch fuzzy, soft, colorless footage?
Mark Paschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:05 PM   #26
Jubal 28

Quote:
Added support for editing files recorded with Sony AVCHD camcorders.
Does this mean only Sony's AVCHD camcorders?

EDIT: Oops. Missed this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle View Post
Other than questions about non-Sony AVCHD cams, what would you like to know? Been running 7e in various builds for quite a while now.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:26 PM   #27

Sony has only announced support for Sony cameras, and after a discussion with various folks, it's because they haven't extensively tested Panasonic media with it. I'm a bit confused, because I have 2 people in very different locations in the world telling me the footage works, and 1 person telling me it doesn't.
Since I don't have the cam itself...can't comment with any authority. Don't be surprised if support for the Panny shows up. Or not.

[edit] I've just learned that a Sony rep has made a public comment about the Panny camcorders and Vegas support, so if he can comment, so can I. :-)
Vegas will support the Panasonic flavor of AVCHD at a later date.

Last edited by Douglas Spotted Eagle; May 2nd, 2007 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Cleared information
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:44 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Are you supposed to be able to capture directly from A Sony AVCHD camcorder? I cant seem to get it to show up as a device or a drive via Vegas but can through Nero. Vegas will accept the Nero files and let me edit but Im guessing Sony wants you to use the Sony software that comes with the camcorder for DLing to the Hard Drive and then import.

The video is very glitchy and stutters fairly bad on a duo core with 2 gig of RAM, Is there a recommended video card ( or 2, I have pro SLI dual card motherboard) that make the video smooth? Nero is much more smooth on playback for some odd reason
Mark Paschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 07:15 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Paschke View Post

The video is very glitchy and stutters fairly bad on a duo core with 2 gig of RAM, Is there a recommended video card ( or 2, I have pro SLI dual card motherboard) that make the video smooth? Nero is much more smooth on playback for some odd reason

I'd be happy if Vegas would atleast let me put the file (Pany AVCHD) on the timeline if only to convert it to something else.

Nero does this for me now, but it crashes frequently.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 07:51 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Paschke View Post
No Blue Ray nor HD DVD support from what I can tell which sort of defeats the purpose, dont you want to watch HD with an HD DVD player? Come on Sony, cheesy ole Nero burns nice little Blue Ray and HD DVDs with menues, get with the program if youre claiming to be worth even messing with HD formats.

What are we supposed to do, shoot and edit HD and then dig out our old 480P DVD players and watch fuzzy, soft, colorless footage?
Mark,
Howsabout we wait a little til things settle out in the formats. Your posts suggest you're a newbie to this world of editing and HD. Having been around for convergence in various formats for several years, all things come when it's time for them to come. If you want to walk the bleeding edge, then you have to deal with either being cut or looking out over that edge. Do you have a BD burner? Likely not. Do you have a BD player? Perhaps. Do you have a screen that will playback HD content in 1080 glory? Probably. You're well ahead of most of the world.
It's not such a big deal if you can burn HD DVD, not many people own HD DVDs and if sales are any indicator, HD DVD isn't going to be much more than an also-ran. I'm confident that Sony Creative Software are looking at all those parameters.
if you like using Nero, that means you have a tool. I don't. Nero isn't stable at all for me. If it is for you, you're a lucky guy.
I'd like to send you a private message, but your profile won't allow for it. Please PM me at your convenience.
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion