DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   AVCHD Format Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/)
-   -   Work flow..... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/92662-work-flow.html)

Ian Broadbent April 28th, 2007 08:23 PM

Work flow.....

This may be the wrong forum cos I am considering the Sony HDR-HC1

I currently have a JVC GY-HD110 as my main camera, I am looking for something lightweight to put on a tripod for that fire and forget extra footage to mix in with the main stuff at weddings. I am editing in Avid Liquid 7.2 and need footage compatible with that NLE. I also need to be able to capture stuff say at the brides house as well, with a low time camera person.

Ok thats the requirement....

Sony started to look good with their HDR-HC1/3/5/7 range but.... AVCHD....

How will that fit in my work flow?
Can I convert to a file format say M2T that Liquid will work with?
(Currently (till I buy a Firestore) is shoot, capture, edit, burn.)

Its not that I want it for main footage and currently I am downconverting to SD at burn time, but I dont want to lose the HD capability for later on. I intend to provide HD to customers as required, even ones that I do now.

As the JVC is 720p thats the resolution I am editing in.

The HC1 looks interesting with its 30gb HD but the main problem as far as I am concerned is the format - AVCHD. ohw do I use it?

Cheers

Ian

George Ellis April 29th, 2007 10:18 AM

Ian, you might do well to get a copy of Pinnacle Studio 11 Plus. Liquid 7.2 supports v10 ingest, so "maybe" it will support 11 too. Or you might be able to output M2V and directly import it. I don't have Studio after version 9.x and don't have a AVCHD camera to test with either.

Louis Mostert April 30th, 2007 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Broadbent (Post 669308)
This may be the wrong forum cos I am considering the Sony HDR-HC1

I currently have a JVC GY-HD110 as my main camera, I am looking for something lightweight to put on a tripod for that fire and forget extra footage to mix in with the main stuff at weddings. I am editing in Avid Liquid 7.2 and need footage compatible with that NLE. I also need to be able to capture stuff say at the brides house as well, with a low time camera person.

Ok thats the requirement....

How will that fit in my work flow?
Can I convert to a file format say M2T that Liquid will work with?
(Currently (till I buy a Firestore) is shoot, capture, edit, burn.)

Its not that I want it for main footage and currently I am downconverting to SD at burn time, but I dont want to lose the HD capability for later on. I intend to provide HD to customers as required, even ones that I do now.

As the JVC is 720p thats the resolution I am editing in.

The HC1 looks interesting with its 30gb HD but the main problem as far as I am concerned is the format - AVCHD. ohw do I use it?

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian

Is the Sony HDR-HC1 not an interlaced cam? Your HD110 is progressive.
Mixing 1080i50 and 720p25 will be a problem. You would have to deinterlace the 1080i and convert it to 720p every time. Does the HDR do 720p?

Ian Broadbent April 30th, 2007 04:13 PM

Louis

You are quite correct, my 110 is 720P and the sony (plus most others ) its 1080i.

To be honest its starting to look messy lol

convert to a format Liquid can handle, de-interlace and scale to 720p then edit.

One blessing may be that I will only be using select shots from the second cam so conversion and render times may not be as bad as I imagine.

Thanks for the help guys

Ian

George Ellis May 1st, 2007 03:50 AM

Louis, the other thing going in Ian's favor is that Liquid can handle multiple formats in the same timeline. The timeline properties dictate the output.

Kevin Shaw May 1st, 2007 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Broadbent (Post 669308)

What camera are you considering exactly? I have the HC1 and it records HDV 1080i on miniDV tapes, not AVCHD. As someone else noted you could mix that with your JVC footage and output to 720p or SD MPEG2 without major problems, depending on how picky you are about having your footage look the same between shots.

Mark this as another reason why JVC needs an affordable entry-level HDV camera in their lineup.

Louis Mostert May 1st, 2007 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Ellis (Post 670452)
Louis, the other thing going in Ian's favor is that Liquid can handle multiple formats in the same timeline. The timeline properties dictate the output.

Cool - didn't know that. Should check it out because I want to use an XDCAM EX + FX7 at the end of the year.

Douglas Spotted Eagle May 1st, 2007 12:34 PM

One thing we don't yet know is if Liquid will be able to immediately manage the MPEG 4 container from the EX.

George Ellis May 1st, 2007 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle (Post 670732)
One thing we don't yet know is if Liquid will be able to immediately manage the MPEG 4 container from the EX.

I have done MPEG4 for others, but not the EX. Got a file sitting around? They did not tell us that we have AVCHD, but sometimes things work without being supported...

This might help confuse or clear up on XDCAM
http://www.avid.com/content/10425/XR...Send_XDCAM.pdf