Pana SD3 worthwaiting for? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old May 21st, 2007, 08:36 AM   #1
New Boot

Pana SD3 worthwaiting for?

Hi I have been interested int the SD1 for a while now but have held off until more reviews came in on it. I was about to pull the trigger the other day as we are going to a family reunion this weekend and I would like to get some good video footage. I was suprise to see that there is already an upgrade coming and thought I should wait. Now I am rethinking if the new features are that big of deal. I could get by with my old camera until SD3 comes out.

I notice the SD1 price has come way down so that is big plus for getting that one, but I do not mind paying more for the SD3 if the technology they are presenting is worth it.

So my qustion: should I wait or buy SD1 now? Thanks for our help
Gen Franks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Gen,

I too have been contemplating the same. The big plus for the S3 seems to be full 1920 H res in the highest quality mode. The lower quality modes down res to 1440 anyway. The reason I question the extra advantage is that affordable editors down res to 1440 anyway.

This camera has me excited mopre than anything else I've seen lately.

Have you made the move yet. If you have, I might have a few questions.

Good luck!
Old June 13th, 2007, 02:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennett View Post
Hi Gen,
The lower quality modes down res to 1440 anyway. The reason I question the extra advantage is that affordable editors down res to 1440 anyway.

Good luck!
David, can you explain what you mean in this comment?
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 02:43 PM   #4
Major Player

Boy that was quick!

As I understand it, the 1080i HDV format specifically limits H res to 1440. So far, I've only really used Ulead products, so maybe I'm making a false assumption.

My understanding of the S3 is that it has full 1920 ONLY in the highest quality compression mode (13Mbs). The 9Mbs and 6 Mbs (I believe) both down res to 1440.

I have an early JVC HD10, and things have been working OK for awhile. I can also play MP4 files from Sanyo HD1. I've downloaded some clips from Sony and Pany AVCHD cameras with M2TS extension, but they won't play with VLC 8.4a or Nero Showtime 3. Do you have any quick and cheap solutions?

Thanks,
Old June 13th, 2007, 05:13 PM   #5
Major Player

HDV max resolution is 1440x1080 with a pixel aspect ratio of 1.333:1. AVCHD specs allow that resolution and also a full 1920x1080.

There are at least three media players that will play back AVCHD. Cyberlink PowerDVD 7 Deluxe, WinDVD 8, and Nero 7 Ultra. I believe, but have not tested, Elecard MPEG Player will also. For editing, Pinnacle Studio 11, Ulead Video Studio 11 both will import and edit AVCHD. Sony Vegas will only edit Sony's version of AVCHD and there is no word on when or if they will support editing of Panasonic's version.

You need to be aware that the word in Japan is that Panasonic will discontinue production of the SD3 and will bring out the SD5 in August. The features of the SD5 are unknown and, of course, Panasonic has not made any comment on this.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion