Sony HCR-SR7 - How to burn AVCHD files? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old June 15th, 2007, 12:50 PM   #1
New Boot

Sony HCR-SR7 - How to burn AVCHD files?

Hi
I´m planning to buy this camera, for domestic videos, and also for some weddings of friends.
I have some doubts, that arent satisfied after reading for several hours in internet.
I was plnanning, to transfer the avchd files recorded with this camera to the computer, edit with Pinnacle, Las Vegas or Nero (i only used Pinnacle Studio in the past, and i liked it) and finnaly burn a normal DVD to play in convencional DVD players (i loose here the HD definition), but also burn the avchd edited files to a DVD to watch with a PS3 or blue-ray player in the future (when i buy one, i guess they´ll be cheaper in a nearest future).
The question is, can i burn avchd files to a dvd with a conventional dvd recorder (I have benq DW1600).
Another question is: can i edit avchd files and had menus, chapters, transitions, etc?

Untill i buy a blue-ray player, i was thinking to watch in full HD in my computer, for that i must upgrade my graphic board and maybe the monitor (i must check this). Can i use computer to play HD files like avchd?
I downloaded a sample in internet, but i dont know if i´m watching it in full HD. I guess i´m not, even with a so good image.

I appreciate all your answers.
Thanks

José Palmeira
Jose Palmeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #2
Trustee

You won’t have any problems with that burner. All you do is make a Data DVD with all of your files within a VIDEO folder and play it on a PS3. As for the computer monitor, it doesn’t really matter unless you want to get a monitor with a resolution of 1920X1200 to give you that best possible picture for your camcorder.

I have a feeling that the PS3’s price will be lowered this year in the US but not in Europe because in just a short time frame there is already over 1 million units in European homes while in the US, it took a long time for it to reach a million. Hopefully it gets lowered in every country.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #3
New Boot

Muito obrigado pela resposta, Paulo.

But keeping it in english... Did you ever use pinnacle to edit avchd?
Do you know if i can edit, add menus... and then burn in a single avchd file conserving all menu possibilities?

JP
Jose Palmeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 11:06 PM   #4
Trustee

In case you didn’t know, you need at least the middle version for compatibility with AVCHD/HDV camcorders.
http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSit...arision+Chart/
As for what is the best AVCHD editor, I can’t tell you because I haven’t practiced editing AVCHD files yet.

If I were you I’d experiment with the different software packages that you can download free for a month and use AVCHD files that are commonly found in the forums to see how the editing is. OK, before you do that, it’s better to see if the AVCHD files will play smoothly on your computer because like you said, your graphic card may not be good and you may have to upgrade you’re RAM as well. I have a 128MB graphic card and 512MB of RAM on my computer and 60i looks a bit worse than 24p footage. The video is never fully smooth.

I figured that you’d know that I’m Portuguese as well because of my name.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion