BR-HD50 and Avid Pro with Mojo workflow? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old August 14th, 2007, 08:23 PM   #1
New Boot

BR-HD50 and Avid Pro with Mojo workflow?

Folks-

Does anyone have a JVC BR-HD50U with Avid Pro/MOJO as a workflow?

Am I just insane?

I am a(frustrated) JVC HD250U owner trying to find a cost efficent way to not only get my footage into Avid Pro, but also "cheat" the system into giving me a reference HD signal out off the HDMI output on the BR-HD50U deck (to be connected to an HD monitor).

I plan on shooting everything at 720p/30 NTSC, and either capturing per Avid specs- and I also have the option of importing the files from a portable HD, also attached to the camera and acting as a redundant recording source.

What's the best way to do this?

I'm running Avid 5.x over XP/SP2.
Keith DeCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 08:13 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith DeCristo View Post
Folks-

Does anyone have a JVC BR-HD50U with Avid Pro/MOJO as a workflow?

Am I just insane?

I am a(frustrated) JVC HD250U owner trying to find a cost efficent way to not only get my footage into Avid Pro, but also "cheat" the system into giving me a reference HD signal out off the HDMI output on the BR-HD50U deck (to be connected to an HD monitor).

I plan on shooting everything at 720p/30 NTSC, and either capturing per Avid specs- and I also have the option of importing the files from a portable HD, also attached to the camera and acting as a redundant recording source.

What's the best way to do this?

I'm running Avid 5.x over XP/SP2.
You don't seem to be insane. But you probably didn't know that the Mojo does not display or output at all in any HD resolution. So you cannot display to an HD monitor from the Mojo, just downconverted SD. By the way, I believe green is sync reference on the Mojo if your going to an SD monitor in composite.

However, with just a good High Def LCD monitor with HDMI or even DVI, you can monitor full screen with 5.5 or later as long as you have a Nvidia card. Ingest is pretty straight forward with HDV 720/30 through firewire.

Good Luck,,,
Old August 16th, 2007, 10:08 AM   #3
Major Player

Well, hang on there guys. The JVC 720/30p workflow on Avid is sketchy at best. The BR-HD50 deck and its control from Avid is very unreliable and in general the format is not supported very well at all. If I were doing it all over again, I'd either pick a different format or go with FCP, which supports the format and equipment better. Avid can claim whatever they want but 720/30p does not work well. Of course, 24fps is not supported at all and eventhough there are some workarounds, it's not fun.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family