Mojo: no color to ext monitor (b/w only)...? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old November 26th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Mojo: no color to ext monitor (b/w only)...?

Avid Users,

In Xpress Pro 5.7.5 (and much earlier editions), whether working in DV or HDV mode, cannot get color from Mojo (not Mojo SDI) to an external monitor via SVHS pipe -- just black & white. RCA to external monitor is b/w gibberish -- no image. Have checked cables, decks, monitors, settings. Am using external sync. Is there some secret setting or other voodoo magic about getting color via Mojo?

Wish I had time to respond to the "What Avid needs to do" thread. Don't you?

Thanks.

Tom Kaminski

Last edited by Tom Kaminski; November 26th, 2007 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention specific Avid NLE
Tom Kaminski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 08:39 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi,
This is a software issue, go into the video output option, it's in one of the drop downs (haven't got avid in front of me) and change the output signal to composite I think. This should give you colour (that's color for you americans).

Cheers
Matt
Matt Mullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 02:31 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks, Matt, but still no colour....

Matt,

Thanks very much for your suggestion -- the only one I've thus far received. But it didn't work here, so I'm hopeful that more suggestions will come in.

BTW, I'm so old that I learned to spell color with the "u". Thanks for the memories (3rd grade teacher: "No, Tom, we don't spell it with a "u" anymore.").

Sante',

Tom
Old November 30th, 2007, 03:54 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Tom,
You've got me stumped. I had exactly the same problem as you and changing that setting did the job. The 'video output tool' option in the tools drop down menu was where I found it. There are three options in there: component, composite and svideo. The logical option would of course be svideo but that results in black and white video. Composite however caused my screen to revert to colour. (I never knew the color/colour changeover was so recent, interesting stuff).

Keep me posted, interested to see what the solution might be.

Thanks
Matt
Matt Mullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 02:27 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Matt's solution and Avid's secret

Matt,

You were right after all. Thought I essentially had already done what you suggested by merely changing the format ("Format" tab in project window) to 30i, per Avid's "Help". Couldn't seem to find "Video Input" and "Video Output" options in the "Settings" (proiject window) anywhere.

Little did I know that I wouldn't see them until I not only changed the format, but also powered up Mojo. Where in the documentation, such as it is, is that written?

In the event, I'm now getting HDV out to the NTSC monitor, and I thank you very much for your suggestion.

Tom
Old December 3rd, 2007, 04:18 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Tom,
Glad to hear that worked out for you. Not sure Avid are the best at documenting their software/hardware or maybe I just don't think the same way they do.

Cheers
Matt
Matt Mullins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family