Unable to Set Audio Levels w/ Passthrough Mixer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old January 11th, 2008, 02:41 AM   #1
Trustee

Unable to Set Audio Levels w/ Passthrough Mixer

I'm capturing a tape and would like to adjust the input levels.

I opened the Passthrough Mixer and can move the sliders but they don't affect the recording level at all.

I tried turning off "Use Windows Mixer" in the Sound Card Configuration settings, but I still can't get the Passthrough Mixer controls to actually change levels.

Sound card is an M-Audio Revolution PCI 5.1. AXP 5.7.7 and Win XP Pro.

Thanks very much for the help.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 02:07 PM   #2
Trustee

Peter, what's the source tape? Analogue? Digital through firewire? If you are capturing through firewire, I don't think you can adjust input levels. It just copies the tape, then you adjust on the timeline.

If you are capturing an analogue source, adjust levels at the source.

Anyway, the Passthough Mix tool doesn't do what you want:

"The Passthrough Mix tool adjusts monitored audio only and has no effect on the recorded audio signal. You can adjust volume levels within a clip in the Timeline after you record audio by using Audio Gain Automation. "

That's from the help file.
Old January 11th, 2008, 09:44 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks so much Vito. I've been working my way through the book "Editing with Avid Xpress Pro and Avid Xpress DV." But some aspects seem out of date.

The capture section talks about setting audio levels during capture, but I guess they are not assuming HDV over Firewire.

Thanks again for the help!

P.S. I missed the part in the chapter that said "(For Mojo Only)."

Last edited by Peter Moretti; January 12th, 2008 at 04:32 PM.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 07:42 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Moretti View Post
The capture section talks about setting audio levels during capture, but I guess they are not assuming HDV over Firewire.
No, you're right. That would be for an analogue source.

I don't have the book you are referring to, but I find the help file a great resource. I'm amazed at how many people never consult the help file of software they use. With that, reading online, etc, I haven't even cracked the manual since I read it in school years ago. Though I think the help file is pretty much like the manual. I did buy Steve Hullfish's book "Avid Xpress Pro and DV on the spot," which has some nice tips.

Glad you got it worked out.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family