Correct time/date in Media Tool at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old January 30th, 2008, 01:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Correct time/date in Media Tool

Hey Guys,

Has anyone noticed the time and date on clips pulled up using the media tool to be around 7-9hrs ahead of time. This is happening to me on two seperate avid environments.
1. Avid Unity with 4 media composser clients
2. A stand alone Express Pro suite

All machines have correct time and date set up in windows

Where does Avid get it's time and date settings from, I would of thought it mirrored the OS.

My workflow issue because of this....

Working with the DR-HD100, after a day of shooting i connect the hard drive to a client computer, open the folder to find all of the creation date and time matches that of when we shot each clip, i ingest daily rushes to the unity drive, start my project and open the media tool. Now i see all my clips that aren't yet attatched to a project (time and date don't match that as displayed through 'My Computer')
Now If i dont copy files in order of shooting across to the unity it is a painfull process trying to compare clip names as displayed in 'My Computer" to the clip names displayed in the media tool.

Some people will say why dont you just import the clips straight into relevent project from the DR-HD100. You wont have this problem.

The only way for us to get the clips totally linked to the project is to copy straight into the OMFI dir on the unity, open media tool, drag clips into rel bin and then cosolodaite back into project whilst deleting original media.

Can you guys now see my frustration when shooting multible jobs on the one day

Is this an Avid bug

Allan
Allan Coy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 09:21 AM   #2
Major Player

Allan,

I can't say that I've ever encountered the timestamp issue where the Avid app.is 7 to 9 hours ahead of my PC or Mac.

I've never injested from a Firestore into a Unity Server before however remember that the Avid database is being rebuilt with your new clips as completely new files. If you're shooting in Quicktime ext. then yes the Avid converts to OMF or MXF depending on your project settings.

What file format are you using on your FS 100? OMF? m2t? Quicktime?

The media management on Avid is rock solid because it forces clips into a media database ext. that doesn't confuse itself with other more open extensions like QT or AVI. So, when you import an m2t or Quicktime or what have you, it rewrites the file with OMF or MXF. With the Unity Server this is important for automated backups, redundancy, file sharing with multiple Avids, etc.

I know this is a hassle, but the more open alternative would cause broken links left and right especially in a dynamic networked setup.

I think DV acquired files can be written into OMF on Firestore. HDV is Quicktime or m2t. If you're shooting DV, then set your FS 100 to record in OMF extension.

I hope this helps,

David
Old February 1st, 2008, 12:07 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey David cheers for you response

I'm working in the OMF format on the firestore, I dont know if you understood my workflow. I ingest dir into OMFI dir before creating my project. If i put a quicktime in to the dir it would be quarratined upon booting Avid.

My problem comes with the OMFI files not all being linked to the project. If we import the OMFI clips created by the firestore dir into a bin, MDVavid will only reconise the Audio2 track as being attatched to the project. The only way around this is to copy clips dir into OMFI dir open the project (avid database will update and index on startup) then open the Media tool find the clips and drag to a bin. Then we have to consolodate all the clips and tick the box which deletes original media.
Now if i open MDVavid and select my project the video and 2audio tracks are now present.

I will send you a screen shot of the Modified and Creation date being way out in the media tool. My boss has posted this on the Avid forum with screen shots.

re:Unity
The Unity works like any Media drive on a standalone suite. Thanks for pointing out the backup. We have 8Tb of storage, 4Tb for media and 4Tb as a mirrored backup, this is constantly updating as we are working.

Cheers
Al
Allan Coy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family