DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Avid Editing Family (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/)
-   -   AVID media composer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/120908-avid-media-composer.html)

Kevin Ta May 4th, 2008 02:53 PM

AVID media composer

Does anyone know if AVID will fix the problem capturing 24f from the Canon XH A1?
I know media composer now works for HD, but i looked around and heard many reports about the issue of capturing 24f, does this apply to 30f to?

Also i hear that if you shoot 60i, there are ways to change that to a look similar to 30f or 24f. Is that true?

i'm fairly new to the world of editing, i mainly have experience with dv shooting, and photography. Any pointers would be great. Thank You.

Blake Calhoun May 4th, 2008 03:09 PM

You have to use a workaround to work with 24F. I've been doing it successfully for about a year. Capture your 24F HDV to your computer using HDVSplit. It makes m2T files for each clip. Then use MPEG Streamclip to transcode the media to DNxHD 115 or 175. Then import these clips into your Avid. Works in Xpress Pro or Media Composer. Yeah, it's a few extra steps, but it does the trick. Good luck.

Kevin Ta May 5th, 2008 09:53 AM

Thanks Blake,

Do you know know what the setting should be when using the Canon A1 as a deck to record hdv on xpress pro? I have been only able to get it to work when i am shooting in DV.

Right now, when i shoot HDV, i can play and control the a1 from my computer and see the image, but when i click capture, it says that "video signal present but not captured". Can't figure it out.

Kevin Ta May 8th, 2008 12:08 AM

I also noticed the the HDVSplit is only available for PC, is there something that can be run on a Mac?

I will definitley look into it when i finish building my PC for editing, but in the meantime i only have a Macbook for editing.

Ryan M. Christensen July 21st, 2008 02:38 PM

Two questions:

1. Could this workflow work for 30f as well?
2. Is MPEG Streamclip required. Could you use Media Composer to transcode the files to DNxHD?

I have searched all over the web-and this advice is the best I have come accross for how to work with the Canon XH-A1 and Avid. I sure wish Avid would support the f format. Perhaps if we make enough emails/calls?

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blake Calhoun (Post 871971)
You have to use a workaround to work with 24F. I've been doing it successfully for about a year. Capture your 24F HDV to your computer using HDVSplit. It makes m2T files for each clip. Then use MPEG Streamclip to transcode the media to DNxHD 115 or 175. Then import these clips into your Avid. Works in Xpress Pro or Media Composer. Yeah, it's a few extra steps, but it does the trick. Good luck.

David Parks July 21st, 2008 03:09 PM

30f already works. Standard digitize into 1080i HDV project, MPEG stream clip for 1080p.

Cheers

Geoff Dills July 22nd, 2008 05:08 AM

Works now

Apparently you can use the 24f format now with MC.

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/57675.aspx

David Parks July 22nd, 2008 07:31 AM

Geoff,

I'm not so sure yet.When you read the entire thread on the Avid Community forum you'll see what I mean. Someone said you use the advanced timeline function and do this and do that. Then Lew S., who is a Liquid moderator states in the next post that the info is pasted straight from the Pinnacle forum. He knows becuase he wrote it and the procedure referring to Liquid not MC.

So, I'll do some digging, but officially Avid has not cliamed that MC 3.0 supports 24f. I know for certain it works with 30f and they state as such in the knowledge base.

But, I'll double check.

EDIT: I can conform that 24f isn't supported for digitize and play back. It will capture into a 1080/60i project, but becuse there is no pull down it plays back fast and choppy. I even tried 1080/24p and it wouldn't even digitize. So you musst use MPEG Streamclip still.

Peter Moretti July 22nd, 2008 02:56 PM

Dave, I heard they brought a G1 with them on the space shuttle. Do you know if that's true?

David Parks July 22nd, 2008 03:18 PM

Yes it's true...and it was reported by Chris Hurd himself.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=106524

Cheers

Kareem Dimashkie December 28th, 2008 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blake Calhoun (Post 871971)

Apologies for resurrecting this thread, but I'm having issues with this workaround. I was able to capture my 24p 1080i footage via HDVSplit to my computer. However, when using MPEG Streamclip, the captured footage was very choppy to play. When I converted it to DNxHD, AVID accepted and converted the file, but there was no picture (just a white screen).

Also, on MPEG Streamclip, I saw no option to make the DNxHD 115 or 175. Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.