AFE File ?'s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old May 12th, 2008, 04:40 PM   #1
Trustee

AFE File ?'s

Is anyone here using AFE files to bring AXP or MC projects into another Avid system, like DS?

I've read help on AFE's and followed the DS Conform Guide, but am having some problems.

What am most confused about is the realationship between AFE files and source media. Do AFE's include the source media? Does the source media need to be recaptured? If I have DS on the same computer as AXP, can I link to the existing source media files in AXP or do need to provide another instance of the source media?

If these ?'s sound a little confused, that's b/c the asker of them IS confused. Thanks much.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 07:54 PM   #2
Major Player

Peter,

AFE's (Avid File Exchange) from AXP/MC are relinked inside DS to original MXF files captured via AXP/MC. And you can recapture at a different resolution in DS if you like but not necessary. If you notice on the export side AXP/MC options for ALE, well there are none. No options avialable. It just does it. And it only links to MXF.
AFE only works on Avid products, nothing else. So, your on the right track.

Is your media not relinking inside the DS??
Old May 12th, 2008, 11:43 PM   #3
Trustee

David, thanks so much for the reply.

Yes, that's exactly what's happening, the files are not relinking. I've managed to import the AFE, but there is no media for the clips and sequences.

I've tried using Recapture but I get an error message about not having set up presets. But I haven't been able to figure out what that's exactly referring to.

Thanks again. There is so little support for DS. I can find no DS classes in Los Angeles, which is pretty surprising. And there are no books available with sample projects.

I realize that AFE's are brought into DS all the time, but I'm finding it very difficult.
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:52 AM   #4
Major Player

Peter,

Let me put in a call to a DS operator buddy of mine today and see what he says. I admit i know DS from a broad overview but little hands on. I basically know how to fake my way through an edit, but usually I'm the client having a project conformed with someone else operatiing.

I do know that DS is very picky about deck settings, tape numbers if your capturing via tape.

One thing you can check is to make double sure that your original AXP project was captured in MXF and not OMF. Also try AAF export from AXP/MC.

Give me a day or so and I'll see what i can dig up.

Cheers.
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:40 PM   #5
Trustee

Dave, thanks the original captue was indeed as OMF. It's a small SD project that I thought would work well.

I'm working on transcoding it to MXF and will try importing that. Thanks very much. I'll let you know how it goes.

BTW, I'm using the 7.6 Learning Edition of DS, so tape capture is not an option. I can capture from files however, but it aint as straight forward as they make it sound.

But you're definitely helping with the process ;).

Last edited by Peter Moretti; May 14th, 2008 at 01:13 AM.
Old May 14th, 2008, 02:20 PM   #6
Trustee

Dave,

After switching over to MXF, I'm now getting a the message "media not found."

Here's some more info that might be helpful to your friend who does DS AFE conforming:

I'm creating the AFE from a single clip (not even a sequence) which is 1080i/59.94 DNxHD 145; so it's MXF.

I have "Use the Closest Media Available" set in DS.

I've tried to configure DS's capture tool, but it only works with tapes or SDI. I want to use the MXF file as the source media. (I don't have the source tape). Also I am using the Training Edition of 7.6, so it's installed on the same PC as my AXP.

I have tried using/not using Create Linked Clips for File Sources when importing the AFE.

I created three folders, as the "DS Conform Guide" recommends: Avid MediaFiles\MXF; Avid MediaFiles\VideoStorage; Avid MediaFiles\AudioStorage.

When I right click on the clip's icon and choose Show Media, I see the name of the clip in the left column and the name of the MXF file in the right column. These look correct including their paths. I've tried right clicking on the MXF file and choosing Link. I get a message that says Verifying File, but that's it. I've also tried choosing Capture, but I get a message saying "One or more errors were detected... ".

One time while doing this, the audio DID come through, but not the video. The clip's name does show on the timeline with the proper duration, but there is no actual footage

Any help would be much appreciated. THANKS.
Old May 21st, 2008, 09:06 AM   #7
Major Player

Peter,

I'm so sorry it took me so long to get back on this, lots of phone tag with a couple of DS users here in town.

Are your using HDV or DNXHD 145TR vs. Regular 1080i DNXHD 145. If HDV, you might transcode to a non transport stream sequence. I don't think DS works with HDV.

The one thing we don't know is possible how dumbed down the demo version is compared to the real one. But it looks like you're on the right track.

Let me know how it's going and we'll keep asking around.

Cheers, David

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family