Avid / Pinnacle discussions from 2004 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Closed Thread

Old January 20th, 2004, 03:49 AM   #16
RED Code Chef

Since it is targeted at a professional level, I think it is common
that editors on such systems go to trainings to learn the product
as well. A friend of mine just did for a local TV station (they are
not using Liquid though)

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old January 20th, 2004, 07:21 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Thanks a lot...

Are there links to these forums on the net? If you know of any, I would love to have them...

As for training you on editing these systems, I might need to ask the reseller I got this editing system from... But generally speaking, I am surprised that Pinnacle didn't issue a tutorial CD or DVD for their editing software and especially for software as complicated as Pinnacle Liquid Purple and its sister editions, Silver and Blue!!!
Old January 20th, 2004, 08:37 AM   #18
Regular Crew

The Pinnacle forums are here:

http://webboard.pinnaclesys.com/

DV Creators also has a forum and a powerstart training CD that's $50 and well worth the money from what I hear. I own it but haven't had a chance to go through it yet.

http://www.editionplanet.com/
Old January 20th, 2004, 08:42 AM   #19
Regular Crew

http://webboard.pinnaclesys.com/default.asp

This is the central webboard at Pinnacle. I think yu are in a bit of a spot Hammad because I believe Purple was phased out / merged with Liquid Edition 5.5. You'll have to check the different screenshots of the interfaces to see which program is closest to your Purple.

Don't count on Pinnacle for support - their customer service is lacking.

There are two user groups for liquid edition, one in the Consumer (very active, best place to start) and the professional (very advanced, not particularly geared for beginners.

Search the forums for 'training' and you'll get a few hits for private dvd training courses, about 100 bucks.

Good luck.
Old January 20th, 2004, 09:01 AM   #20
Regular Crew

thanks a lot people for your help... :-)
Old January 20th, 2004, 03:10 PM   #21
Regular Crew

If you have a fast internet connection it is also worth checking out the training videos on the Pinnacle Broadcast Network that can be found at:

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PBN/defau...=7&loc=lMen105

Hope this helps
Old January 26th, 2004, 02:47 PM   #22
Major Player

Avid Express DV - Help

I just purchased a copy of Avid Express DV 3.5.4 and I am new to the software. Does anyone recommend a book or tutorial on how to use the software. It comes with help built in but I need to learn it faster then fumbling through it. Also, if you anyone is available in or near Cincinnati Ohio and willing to tudor I would be willing to pay for instruction.

Thanks,

Jon
Old January 27th, 2004, 12:22 AM   #23
New Boot

Jon,
with your Xpress 3.5.4 you should have a copy of "Getting started
guide" and on your CD records there is visual material to be
used with that. When you are done with this you should be
able to use your Avid at least enough to really "get started".
If you bought a used copy of the Xpress 3.5.4 and the
getting stated guide is missing you can download it (for free
and without having to register) from Avids internet site.
It isa a bit difficult to find but do like this:
go to www.avid.com, on the startup page you see a long bar
starting with Products,markets,support... put you mousepointer over "Support" and you will see some alternatives put your
mouspointer over "Online" and you will see some more
alternatives click on "Documentation". On the page that opens
you should on the upper right see a window with the text
"Current Product" open it and change to Xpress DV and click go.
Now on left a bit down you have list starting with "Hardware
guide" go to "Software guide" and click on the triangle at left
now you get a list of versions of Xpress DV click on the triangle
to the left of 3.5 and now you see the "Avid DV getting started
guide" - download it.
Christian
Old January 27th, 2004, 11:22 AM   #24
Regular Crew

I just recently purchased a book, after some recommendations, called "Avid Editing" by Kaufman. Get the second edition. It's clear and concise and done very well. I think you'll benefit from reading it.

Matt
Old January 27th, 2004, 11:44 AM   #25
Major Player

Great. I will check it out. Thanks for the help everyone. I have the Turorial Cd's that come with the software.

Thanks again everyone.

Jon
Old January 28th, 2004, 10:19 AM   #26
Regular Crew

System Choice Question (Avid)

The time has now come for me to make a choice. I am going to take a class and I must chose between Avid and FCP. I realize this is a hot topic and I am not trying to make trouble. I am totally green and have no opinion. I am also not what you would call a computer guy. I am totally open to all thoughts.

My intention is do this as a part time job, so I am concerned about which system will give my future customers confidence. Does Avid offer a "Certification" title if I pass a test. Would somethinglike that be a intangable asset to my future production busines or just a waste of money)

Is there a great difference in hardware costs?

Flexability is also a factor, as I have no idea if I'll be doing corporate training, indie films, or music videos.

I guess I want to know how you came to chose Avid.

More questions than answers. Thanks for any help you can give.

--Chris please note-I'm going to post this, reworded, on the MAC forum as well to get the FCP POV. If this is a bad idea, please remove it or do what ever you think is best ;-) --
Old January 28th, 2004, 10:57 AM   #27
Inner Circle

A lot of different issues come into play regarding chosing FCP or Avid. In no particular order.

Are you more comfortable on one OS over the other? Mac or PC? If you will only work in PC, then FCP is out. On the other hand AVID ships with both Mac and PC copies.

Do you intend to move into "the professional" world. And by that I mean the mainstream production houses, film industry and broadcast. If so, then the Avid interface is more commonly used. If not, and you intend to be a one-man-band, then FCP seems to be the choice for most indy companies. Here, where I work, we have both.

Are you planning on doind high end finishing of your projects, or all in-house? If you are moving to finish high-end, then AVID. If you are doing it all in house, then maybe FCP.

Long form or short form? Until recently, AVID had the best long form media management tools, but FCP4 has come a long way in copying the avid workflow.

I think FCP is easier to do compositing in than AVID, but that's just my opinion.

Really, without knowing your own workflow experience and background, its hard to reccomend one system over the other for you. Macs tend to be pricier than PC's for equivelent computing power, and some great turnkey systems can be bought right out of the box for AVID. (I got mine from DVLINE.Com)

Avid has a free trial version...extremely limited in it's scope. And FCP has EXPRESS which is a lot cheaper than the Full version.

Hope this confuses issues for you. Good luck
Old January 29th, 2004, 02:32 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Thanks Rchard, I know it's very hard to answer these kinds of questions. It's like trying to pick the right girl to marry.

I'm a child of the 70's. my drearms are very small. I don't "high end" feature work in my future. Yes, everything would have to be done "in-house." From the camera work to the dvd.

I don't really have a preferance regarding operating systems. I've never used a Mac, only PC. But again, I just run a few word processing programs and the internet. I don't think I've even loaded and software. So I'm not concerned about "having to get used to another system". I have nothing to compare it too.

It all comes down to the "ease of use, issue". And these matters tend to be very subjective.

Thanks for your Help.
Joe
Old February 3rd, 2004, 12:28 PM   #29
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

$25 rebate on Bella EZ Keyboard Pro for Avid

Bella Corporation Announces Xpress Saver Promotion

Burbank, CA February 3, 2004 - Bella Corporation, the leading supplier of consumer and professional video editing keyboards, announced today a limited time offer that allows editors to save $25 on an Xpress DV Pro Professional Series keyboard.

Xpress Saver Promotion

The "Xpress Saver Promotion," offers $25 off the regular keyboard price of any of Bella's Professional Series line of keyboards for Xpress DV Pro. The keyboards feature the worlds only integrated jog/shuttle controller and are available for both Mac and PC platforms. Editors can take advantage of the savings either through their local reseller or directly from Bella's online store.

Limited Time Offer
The Xpress Saver Promotion is only being offered through February 29th, 2004 or while supplies last.

For more info on EZ Keyboard Pro and to download the $25 rebate coupon http://www.videoguys.com/EZkeys.html

Gary
Videoguys.com
Old February 5th, 2004, 03:11 PM   #30
Major Player

Please chime in here guys, but for me I think the deciding factor is "am I a PC guy or an Apple guy". I have built PC's from the case up and have used them for years, I'm productive on WinXP Pro, and Avid in the industry leader. On the other hand, FCP is hailed as being even better than Avid. But, and this is a really big "but", you have to be willing to switch to Apple. I'm not. So I'm going with Avid. Xpress Pro now comes with a ton of third party plugs and add-ons including the latest Sorenson and ReelDVD and their Elastic gasket which allows you to use plug-ins that were designed for AfterEffects only. Cool!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family