Avid / Pinnacle discussions from 2004 - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Closed Thread

Old August 13th, 2004, 09:54 AM   #121
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Avid Acquires M-Audio

Quote:
Avid Technology, Inc. (NASDAQ: AVID) today announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Midiman, Inc., doing business as M-Audio – a leading provider of digital audio and MIDI solutions for electronic musicians and audio professionals. At closing, Avid will pay approximately $80 million in cash, issue approximately 2 million shares of Avid common stock, and assume all outstanding M-Audio stock options.
Full press release.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Old August 13th, 2004, 09:56 AM   #122
Inner Circle

wow. Considering they already own degidesign and ProTools... that's quite a chunk.
Old August 13th, 2004, 02:16 PM   #123

Surprising acquisition...

Avid is acquiring M-Audio for $80M. M-Audio will run as an Avid division. M-Audio will not move from Irwindale. Digidesign will continue to distribute the Focusright products, interesting changes overall...
http://www.vasst.com
Old August 13th, 2004, 04:21 PM   #124
Regular Crew

Nick,
You must have deleted the project media files (your original, captured source) from that project. The exclamation point means that LE doesn't can't find the media to playback. The red bars in the slices on your timeline mean that the clip hasn't been rendered; if you've deleted your original media, LE can't render it.
You may need to recapture your source.
Hope this helps.
Old August 13th, 2004, 06:13 PM   #125
Major Player

What? Is Avid trying to battle Cisco for the "Aquisition Title"

As long as Avid leave M-Audio alone it'll be cool. Let'em do there thing and add in PTLE support and you have a winner.

I sense some more aquisitions coming in that Audio or Video areas. Who's going to be next?
Old August 13th, 2004, 06:36 PM   #126
Wrangler

Cool, now I guess I have a pair of Avid speakers....
Old August 14th, 2004, 10:48 PM   #127
Inner Circle

All I can say is.... This is bad news for afforadble quality audio. Guess I better get those lx4s' before Avid quadruple the price.

true bummer.
Old August 17th, 2004, 07:42 AM   #128
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Joe Carney : All I can say is.... This is bad news for afforadble quality audio. Guess I better get those lx4s' before Avid quadruple the price.

true bummer. -->>>

Or possibly switch to STaudio! Affordable solid korean gear with pro performance..
/m
Old August 17th, 2004, 03:03 PM   #129
Regular Crew

New Machine! PC -Liquid Edition pro

Hi everyone!
This is my first thread in this community, after extensive reading on a lot of threads. I´ve found great stuff in here.
This is my question. I already bought the Liquid Edition 5.5 pro (the one that comes with the agp pinnacle card), and now i´m chosing the PC hardware.
-Motherboard P4 INTEL D875PBZLK (8USB+SERIAL ATA+LANPRO 1000)
-PROCESSOR PENTIUM 4 HT 2.800GHZ 512KB FSB800MHZ BOX
-3 HDD 40,0GB IDE 7200RPM ATA133 11Ms
-Samsung MEMORy DDR 1GB / FSB400 / PC-3200 (2x 512MB)
-DRIVE 1.44MB 3,5" MITSUMIDRIVE
-CD-ROM 52X OEM LG GCR-8523B
-Audio Board- SOUND MAKER VALUE 4.1
-Pionner DVD-R/RW (8X4X12X) E DVD+RW (8X4X12X)
-LG CDR-W (24X24X40X)
-OEM WINDOWS XP PRO

Any comments on this configuration that i´m getting!??
Thanx
Old August 17th, 2004, 03:22 PM   #130
Trustee

The only change I would consider is using 1 40GB drive (to load the OS on) and get bigger drives for the other two. Remember that 1 hour of tape is about 13GB. You need about 12GB free to render a full DVD disc also. If you save anything, 80GB will be gone very quickly.

My current project is around 100GB and I have 5 more tapes to log.

Pioneer has also released the 108 series DVD drives at $100 USD. That is 16x and supports DVD-ROM book Dual Layer at 4X/2.4X write.
Old August 17th, 2004, 04:54 PM   #131
Major Player

I've got a question about that Pinnacle card. Does it import from DV tape and record in a Pinnacle proprietary codec? In other words could you import a DV tape via firewire, and send the resulting AVI over a network to a computer that did not have Pinnacle products installed on it and open that AVI with Adobe Premiere or Sony Vegas or Ulead VideoStudio? I've been told you cannot because Pinnacle uses their own codec.
Old August 17th, 2004, 07:52 PM   #132
Trustee

I am not aware of the Pinnacle AVIs/DIFs being proprietary. I think they are standard DV25, but I am not entirely sure I remember correctly.
Old August 18th, 2004, 08:24 AM   #133
Regular Crew

!

Thanx for the tips.
I have been told by pinnacle support that you can choose in wich codec you want to work (DV,DVCAM,DVC) and that the .avi uses a cinepack universal codec, i really got confused about this codec stuff, i will get this machine working than i tell you.
About ram memory, any thoughts?? kingstone(hyper-x or not), samsung.
Old August 18th, 2004, 03:07 PM   #134
Trustee

well i hope they keep updating drivers to my revolution 7.1 =). i luv this card.
Old August 29th, 2004, 08:38 PM   #135
Regular Crew

Pinnacle Liquid Edition 5.5 -- How does it compare?

How does Pinnacle Liquid Edition 5.5 compare with the other PC-based high-end NLEs:
-- Avid
-- Vegas
-- Premier Pro

I am not considering any Mac NLEs because I already have a PC built for video editing. So please, no debates on Mac vs PC. There are plenty of other threads on that topic. :-)

I'm looking to buy a new NLE within the next few weeks. My initial use will be for wedding/event videography. However, that may change as I obtain more knowledge and experience.

I have been researching all four of these NLEs, and they all seem very capable. There are many posts in this forum recommending each of these.

From what I have been able to determine, Liquid Edition can do pretty much anything the other NLEs can do -- but I don't know this since I have not done an actual hands-on comparison.

However, it seems that Liquid Edition has the fewest number of users in this forum. Maybe that's because it's a new product, I don't know. From Pinnacle's Comparison Chart it offers a number of advantages over all the rest.

Liquid Edition is currently the least expensive, less than half the price of Avid. As a student, I can purchase any of these at highly discounted prices, so price is not a major issue with me.

I guess what I really want to know is what features or capability do the other NLEs offer that Liquid Edition does not?

Thank you for your time and feedback on this topic.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family