Successful Workflow for Bluray - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old October 11th, 2008, 06:06 AM   #16
Regular Crew

David and Bill,

While I can appreciate that some mutual frustration has crept into your discussion, I implore both of you to take deep breaths and continue your contributions to this forum. Your knowledge, experience, points of view, and discussions thereof, even when mildly heated, are of incalculable value to Avid neophytes like myself. I've learned a great deal from reading postings by each of you. Please, don't go away! We need you. Both of you!

Very respectfully,

Larry
Larry Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 06:26 AM   #17

Larry...

huh?
seems we have a failure to communicate. I'm really learning to detest the internet because of this chronic misunderstanding. Is it the way I write, or is it those who read what I write? probably a little of each.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 06:37 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Bill,

It's probably my fault. My post was more in response to David's last post than it was to yours; in particular, his comment that we wouldn't hear from him for a while on this forum. I wanted to encourage him to stick around and continue to contribute, but I also wanted to express appreciation for your contributions as well. I guess I attempted to communicate too much in too few sentences and ended up not making myself clear. I'm actually a pretty decent writer when I'm not half-asleep after an 18+ hour day! My apologies for confuzzling you.

Aloha
Larry Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 08:36 PM   #19
Regular Crew

You are both right.

Bill you should skip the whole Cineform step, just import the converted mxf files. Once inside the Avid you will have to transcode to one of the Avid's codecs. If you transcode to DNxHD, then you will be able export that QT Ref you are needing on export. This should save you some time on your converting\transcoding.

I think that's all that David was trying to say.

You are double converting your file, regardless if there is or is not real quality loss, I think you are losing some time. In your workflow you are converting to Cineform, and then doing another conversion on import. But if you import mxf natively and then convert to DNxHD, you are only converting once.

I hope this is clear. If you are happy with your workflow, then keep using it, but I think we can save you some time here, if you want to try something different.

Good luck,

Chris
Chris Swartz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family