DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Avid Editing Family (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/)
-   -   MXF from P2 to Avid Xpress 5.1.3 - Master clip only goes to 19:51 min? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/138030-mxf-p2-avid-xpress-5-1-3-master-clip-only-goes-19-51-min.html)

Paul Arndt November 18th, 2008 10:37 PM

MXF from P2 to Avid Xpress 5.1.3 - Master clip only goes to 19:51 min?

I am trying to import some MXF files from a P2 camera (HPX500) to edit in Avid Express Pro 5.1.3. I copied the MXF files into the Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1 directory and then tried to view them in the timeline, but for some reason, each master clip only goes up to the 19:51 min mark on the time code. It seems like there is some kind of restriction and that it can't go past that.

Anyone have any experience with this? Is there some kind of limit to file size and if so, how can I change this? Thanks in advance for the help!

Paul

Mike Meyerson November 22nd, 2008 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Arndt (Post 965694)
I am trying to import some MXF files from a P2 camera (HPX500) to edit in Avid Express Pro 5.1.3. I copied the MXF files into the Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1 directory and then tried to view them in the timeline, but for some reason, each master clip only goes up to the 19:51 min mark on the time code. It seems like there is some kind of restriction and that it can't go past that.

Anyone have any experience with this? Is there some kind of limit to file size and if so, how can I change this? Thanks in advance for the help!

Paul

I had the same problem...never really figured it out (mine always cut off at 21minutes)...it's an avid bug. I think you may have to upgrade to the newest version to solve it (or media composer). There were some threads on the Avid site messageboard regarding it.

Daniel Ridicki December 10th, 2008 09:17 AM

Had the same or at least vey similar problem

I wish I could help here, but just to share my experience with Avid/Mac sovlution.

Bought a brand new G5 with Avid from the same vendor. Edited entire documentary just fine, but could never export the final film more then some 20 min, not even the half of it. Had support pf tons of the available wizzards both for Mac and Avid - but to no avail. Ultimatelya, I have returned the Mac to the vendor and exchanged it for the HP worstation. Exported parts of the final edit, reasambeled them on the same Avid, this time installed on HP and got the film exported all right. Never worked on Avid or Mac again. Which is shame, as I liked both.

Now, I am to start a new and huge documentary project with XDCAM EX3 and I still have not decided which software and patform to use. One day i think it will be Preimere, next day I want to give another chance to Avid + Mac setup. Perthaps Final Cut??? Your experience reminded me of my problems with Avid + Mac and I freak out just to think of it.

I would really appreciate any qualified suggestion, as to which way to go in post production of my fothcoming project ( documentary series comprising of 7 films by 52 minutes each). Premiere, Final Cut, Avid? (I do not wish to start any useles debate as to which is better, just would like to benefit from experience of other people with more experience). Thanks.