How to create SD and HD mixed Project at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old December 13th, 2008, 06:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How to create SD and HD mixed Project

I have a project that uses both 16mm and HD footage. The 16mm is not necesarily 24 frames anymore since it has been output to SD digibeta, and then to quicktime file, and reimported back into Avid. The problem I am having is that there are format issues, how do I create a project with 2 different kinds of formats? the 16mm footage is about a 1:66 ratio and the HD footage is 16:9.

When i start a new project, they only offer a few options which does not include a mix format project, how can i get SD and HD to work together, and still keep each format's ratio in tact?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old December 15th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #2
Major Player

Kevin,

What is your final output?? Is it for projection or is it for a monitor/television???

You can mix HD and SD in a timeline, for example 1080i, and switch back and forth with the format tab for preview on how that will work. But, ultimately, you need to know where you are going.

Let us know what your final output is going to be and I can guide from there.

David
Old February 15th, 2009, 05:26 PM   #3
Major Player

You just need to make a 1080i project and when you go to capture the Digibeta just hit the format tab to SD and you will have the capture settings of a SD project. Once in the timeline your HD or SD clips will be color coated depending on what format you are in. That means if you are in HD settings all your SD clips are colored. I have yet to actually output a mixed resolution timeline because we always upconvert through a Teranex before we color correct and finish.
James Brill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family