Media composer Soft - what pro audio card? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old February 13th, 2009, 06:45 AM   #16

Hi Ola...

Don't be discouraged. The same thing happened to myself the first time I tried to install the mbox2 mini. It sounds as if your install worked properly. Do you have Edius 5 installed? Eddius 5 has known issues with corrupting the PACE anti-piracy software, but, there is a workaround. It will keep the Digidesign drivers from loading.

Also, disconnect all webcams and other USB devices from your system when installing. The webcam looks like a USB device to the installer and will prevent proper operation.

Lastly, if all else fails, go to the Avid and Digidesign website and read their install requirements. There's some gotchas. For instance, if you're running XP SP1 or 2, you must have Microsoft KB926255 installed.

As a final note, don't be afraid to uninstall and repeat the process, as needed. Be sure your mbox is plugged in and turned on when you initiate the install process. Always install MC first, then uninstall the digidrivers, then install mbox drivers lastly.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 02:39 PM   #17
Major Player

Thank you Bill for your encouraging post. However - still no success!

Today I tried installing the new Media Composer 3.5 to see if that solved my problems. The read me file gave me hope. There was a special section on how to co-install Pro tools 8.0 with MC 3.5. It even said that MC might loose contact with the Mbox if you uninstall Pro tools and drivers. I interpret this as a confirmation that the Mbox SHOULD work with MC.

I installed just the way the read me file instructed me to do. First Pro tools and after that Media composer. Pro tools works just fine with the Mbox but MC still won't see the Mbox!

I have selected the Mbox in windows as play back device but it still does not work.

I'd be very interested if anyone gets the Mbox2 to work with MC 3.5.

/ola
Old March 7th, 2009, 07:17 AM   #18
Major Player

The answer!

Finally, I know why my Mbox2 mini will not work. The Mbox2 is supported BUT NOT the Mbox2 mini. Despite the fact that Digidesign told me that the hardware is identical apart from the number of input/outputs the mini will not work.

I found this out after I managed to get e-mail contact with Rob Ferguson who is the guy actually writing the audio code for the Media Composer! He has confirmed that, although the Mbox2 mini is identical in hardware to the Mbox2 apart from the number of inputs, it will not work with MC. This is due to the ASIO drivers requiring a "string" with the name of the device in the software and he simply has not listed the mini in this string. He has offered to help me with a hack and this will hopefully be corrected in future releases.
I will probably try to exchange my mini with a "proper" mbox2. I borrowed an mbox2 from my dealer yesterday and it worked perfectly.

According to Rob the mini should work with an Apple system since Apple isn't so picky about this "string".
Old March 7th, 2009, 08:08 AM   #19

R U sure u'r using the right product names? My Mbox2 MINI works fine in all my computers(laptops and desktop). There is a model called the mbox2 micro, which you may be referring to.
Old March 7th, 2009, 08:15 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
R U sure u'r using the right product names? My Mbox2 MINI works fine in all my computers(laptops and desktop). There is a model called the mbox2 micro, which you may be referring to.
Yes, it is the mini that is not supposed to work. This is also confirmed in the latest read me notes for 3.5. It lists all the compatible Mboxes: Mbox 2 Pro FW, Mbox 2, Mbox Mini, Mbox Micro.

So both the mini and the micro of the old Mbox should work but only the Mbox 2 in the new series.

Are you sure that it is an Mbox2 mini that you have working and not the old Mbox mini?

This is starting to get really confusing!
Old March 7th, 2009, 08:38 AM   #21

well, Ola, it would appear I owe you an apology. Firstly, I have an Mbox2 Mini. It works quite well in ProTools v8, so, I ASSumed it worked with MC3. After plugging the Mbox2 in, firing MC3.5 and trying, I'm embarassed to say it doesn't work! Avid continues to surprise me with their intra-company lack of communication.

If you have a patch, can you share it with me? Thanx.
Old March 7th, 2009, 09:45 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
well, Ola, it would appear I owe you an apology. Firstly, I have an Mbox2 Mini. It works quite well in ProTools v8, so, I ASSumed it worked with MC3. After plugging the Mbox2 in, firing MC3.5 and trying, I'm embarassed to say it doesn't work! Avid continues to surprise me with their intra-company lack of communication.

If you have a patch, can you share it with me? Thanx.
I definately will. After all I've got my camera loaded with one of you picture profiles. :-)

The good thing about all this is that we finally have a definitive answer on this compatibility issue. I hope this thread saves some other poor sole from what I've been going through for the last couple of weeks. Now, let's hope for a patch. I'll keep you posted.
Old March 10th, 2009, 08:30 AM   #23
Major Player

Today I got my mini swapped for a "proper" Mbox2. Works perfectly with Media Composer 3.5!! Thank god I bought it from a professional local dealer that accepted the mini back even though I had registered it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family