Converting 720p/24pn to 480i/24p (HD to SD) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old February 26th, 2009, 01:22 AM   #1
Tourist

Converting 720p/24pn to 480i/24p (HD to SD)

I have some footage that was shot in HD (720p/24pn) that I'd like to bring into my SD project (480i/24p) in Avid Express Pro HD. Avid handles my 480i/24p footage as 29.97 clips, while it handles my 720p/24pn clips as "true" 24 fps clips.

Basically, I can't mix the two frame rates in the same project, as it stands right now. Can anyone tell me how I can convert my 720p/24pn footage to be used in my 29.97 project? (I think 3:2 pulldown is what I need, but I don't know how to do it.)
Jude Arndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 04:48 PM   #2
Major Player

If Im not mistaken, you must of shot on Panasonic setup? 24pn I believe is a HVX 200 framerate along with other Panasonic cameras..

Unfortunately, Xpress Pro doesn't have a feature that Media Composer has called "Fluid Motion". There is a way to change the speed slightly, but it might affect sync over long takes but Xpress Pro doesn't do it smoothly.

I might be wrong on what you shot on, but you would have probably done better in the future to shoot in a 24pa mode vs. native. 24pa uses 2:3:3:2 for editing in a 29.97 timeline.
And i know that DVCPro HD uses it in 1080. and I believe 720p

Sorry I'm not more help.
Old February 26th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #3
Tourist

Thanks for the reply, David. You're right that I shot with a Panasonic (HPX 500), and what you said about shooting in 24pa is definitely something to remember for the future. I appreciate it!

What I'm trying now is to export a sequence of 24pn video as an uncompressed AVI, and then importing that into my 30i project. Can anyone think of any reason this won't work (i.e. loss of quality), or has anyone tried it before?
Jude Arndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 01:42 PM   #4
Trustee

I have had very bad luck importing AVI's into Avid. I often get a audio and a white screen of video.

But I'm not sure what the uncompressed AVI accomplishes; it won't change the frame rate, FWIU. The footage you have in your SD project is essentially 24p imbedded in 60i, if not mistaken. So what you have to do is convert your 24pn footage to 24 inside 60i. That means you need to change resolution and add a pulldown. I don't believe converting to uncompressed AVI will do any of that.

I'm not sure what the export options are in Xpress, but have you tried importing the 24pn footage into its own project and then exporting it in a format that might work with your SD project?

If nothing works, I would consider getting the program TMPGEnc Xpress 4.0. It's around $100 and does a great job of transcoding between file formats, including DNxHD. I can't say for certain it can do what you need, but I think there is a VERY GOOD chance that it can.

HTH.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family