Avid MC3.5 and EX - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old March 18th, 2009, 09:11 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Hamilton View Post
Hi Ola,
I'm curious about the problem you describe (wanting to upgrade to Avid 3.5 but still leery).
If you use AMA, but copy all the media you'll be editing with onto an external drive before you start editing, and if Avid knows that this is the media it's to use, then do you have this problem with muted tracks?
Thanks, Malcolm
As far as I can tell this problem happens to all XDCAM EX media that is referenced as AMA-media no matter if it is on a drive or a memory card. If I consolidate it into Avid MXF-files everything works the way it should again.
Old March 19th, 2009, 09:09 AM   #17
Major Player

Hi Ola,
O.K. So (until Avid corrects this glitch) what's your workflow now? Do you still use AMA, or are you back to using Clip Browser to convert to mxf? (I'm wondering if I should put off upgrading to 3.5 until this is fixed).
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 01:39 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Hamilton View Post
Hi Ola,
O.K. So (until Avid corrects this glitch) what's your workflow now? Do you still use AMA, or are you back to using Clip Browser to convert to mxf? (I'm wondering if I should put off upgrading to 3.5 until this is fixed).
Malcolm
Actually, Avid announced yesterday on their forum that they have found the bug and that a fix should not be far away. I´m currently editing a documentary that was ingested months ago and will be doing this for the next couple of months so I´m only using ama to play with for now.
Old May 11th, 2009, 03:23 PM   #19
Major Player

Ola:

Did the AMA/audio timeline problem ever get the bug fixed?

And another question: have you tried bringing EX video into the AVID at an offline resolution, and then trying to re-digitize at full resolution? If so, what was the workflow, and how did it do?

Thanks!
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ward View Post
Ola:

Did the AMA/audio timeline problem ever get the bug fixed?

And another question: have you tried bringing EX video into the AVID at an offline resolution, and then trying to re-digitize at full resolution? If so, what was the workflow, and how did it do?

Thanks!
As far as I can tell the bug is still there in 3.51. Unbelievable!!!

And no - I have not tried transcoding to an off-line resolution. The EX-format does not do proxies and I cannot see any reason downressing for editing. With todays hard disk prices why would you want to off-line 35 mbit EX-material?!
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:49 PM   #21
Major Player

I have a major client that uses an AVID Unity/Interplay system, and handles almost all HDCam tape source material. I would like to eventually supply them with EX-3 video (either from the SDHC cards, or the Convergent Design Compact Flash cards at 100mbs 4:2:2)

However; their workflow is to import everything into the MC at 15:1, and then do a full rez conform on a Symphony, so they can keep their storage needs manageable. They are a little unsure how to handle the low rez import/conform with a file-based card source, not to mention the archiving issues.

Right now, I don't have anything intelligent to suggest to them. They are exploring adding XDCam Pro discs to their system in the near future, so I suppose there is a way to dump the EX-3 files onto the Pro disc and ship that off for starters.
Bill Ward is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family