How do I synchronize multi-camera videos? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old March 23rd, 2009, 08:21 AM   #1
New Boot

How do I synchronize multi-camera videos?

I have been shooting with a Canon XHA1 as the main camera and a Canon HV10 as the secondary angle. I will be using Media Composer 3.5 as the editing program. I can find frames in the two videos that represent the same point in time. What I want to end up with is a video that switches from one camera to the other at appropriate times. I plan to use the main camera for audio, although I have a higher resolution audio file (audio only no video) that I might want to use. Can anyone direct me to a post, article, discussion, etc. on how to accomplish my goal using Media Composer? Same question using Premire CS4
Bill Warne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 07:07 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I've only done it with Premiere 6.5 using 3 cameras but it would be the same with CS4, I used the audio to sync up the videos and muted the audios I was not using, then used the ramp controls to swap from one track to the others, it was very easy, as long as the cameras kept rolling, we had one camera with a 90 min tape so we could change tapes on the other 2 cameras without a break in the video, there are short cut keys to switch between ramp control and I think it is called scissors but not sure on that, it puts 2 points at the ramp point so you get a clean transition to the other tracks. I'm sorry not to be able to describe it better but haven't used the program for a couple of years.

Bryan
Bryan Sellars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 07:14 PM   #3
Inner Circle

while I don't use either program in order to edit multicam jobs you need to be able to see all the footage on the screen at the same time.
After you have syncd the footage (assuming there are no breaks in it from either camera otherwise sync'ing is a PITA) you need to make both video track smaller and basically do a split screen. Camera 1 on the left and 2 on the right if only because it makes logical sense that way. Now as you go theu the job and come to a swithing point place a marker where you want to cut from camera 1 to camera 2 and so on down the line. After you' ve done that,set up another track, call it MASTER and either C/P the clips to the MASTER or cut and move the clip. I prefer to Copy and Paste. Now once thats done you can finish off the job with audio sweetening, CC, FX, whatever.
HTHs
Old May 13th, 2009, 01:03 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Suggest you read the manual’s multi cam section, but it goes something like this. After marking in points at the same time/frame, highlight both clips in the bin and go to the bin menu and select “group clips”, (select sync at in points). You now get a “group clip” in the bin, so load it into the source monitor. Now mark in/out points and copy it to a sequence. You will see one camera in the sequence. Now find the quad split icon in the command pallet, and map it to a key as well as the camera icons. Activate the quad split, and you see both cams in the source, linked in time to the sequence. Play the sequence, and change cameras on the fly with the camera keys. You can change cameras or audio tracks by mouse clicking them, and selecting from a list of cameras.
Hope this helps.
Terry Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Multicam

Hello Bill,
I don't know if you watched this video tutorial I have posted over on the Avid MC Forum, or not.
In case you missed it here is a link:

Multi Camera Mode - 1. Just a glance - Avid Community

Good luck,
Douglas
Old May 22nd, 2009, 09:49 AM   #6
Major Player

There are 2 methods for Media Composer. Create a group clip with both angles to use the multi camera, or gang the the monitors (icon looke like a spool).

David
Old May 22nd, 2009, 03:32 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Warne View Post
I have been shooting with a Canon XHA1 as the main camera and a Canon HV10 as the secondary angle. I will be using Media Composer 3.5 as the editing program. I can find frames in the two videos that represent the same point in time. What I want to end up with is a video that switches from one camera to the other at appropriate times. I plan to use the main camera for audio, although I have a higher resolution audio file (audio only no video) that I might want to use. Can anyone direct me to a post, article, discussion, etc. on how to accomplish my goal using Media Composer? Same question using Premire CS4
Start record on both cameras, using a small digital stills camera take a flash shot or two of both cams, at distance. When editing, frame advance until flash appears. Clips will be synced perfectely. Dont pause either cam until sequence is completely shot. Far more accurate than using audio.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family