Avid / Pinnacle discussions from 2005 - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Closed Thread

Old December 23rd, 2005, 12:58 AM   #166
Regular Crew

Well, you're a life saver! Got my old bin out of the attic. From Right before I exported to QT Ref. so it's got all of my fades and Color Correction in it. Whew!

Workflow is edit, etc. in avid, export QT Ref file, then use Sorenson Squeeze, etc. to make into MPEG-2 file, & then into Encore DVD.

Anyway, I'll try my export again, this time from the File menu rather than the other method, if it even makes a diference..

Thanks,

Alex F
Old December 23rd, 2005, 09:16 AM   #167
Inner Circle

Alex,

Mark your timeline in and out. (Making sure all the tracks that you want exported are correctly selected)

RENDER ANY UNRENDERED ELEMENTS IN THE SEQUENCE. (You can either do this as you go along making it, or at the end when you're finished with the timeline.)

Once timeline is rendered. KEEP IT SELECTED AND MARKED.

FIND the timeline sequence in the BIN. Select it IN THE BIN.

Choose SEND TO.

Choose SORENSON SQUEEZE. Also select open application immediately.

Avid creates a QT reference file. This should take a couple of minutes, not hours.

The QT reference file will show up HIGHLITED in your Media drive. Drag it into the Sorenson Application.

Set your sorrenson for whatever compression you want. Mpeg 2, 4 whatever. You can pick more than one compression form if you want.

Hit SQUEEZE.

Go eat dinner.

The Squozen file (Squeezed? Squoze? Squun?) Is then used in your authoring app. I use ReelDVD... so I can't help you with Encore.
Old December 23rd, 2005, 10:10 AM   #168
Trustee

Be aware there is a known issue with AMD and Avid. Do a search on tha Avid forums for more. I personally have never experienced this issue but it sounds like the black and green bars mentioned in some of those posts. I can't point you right to them as I have never looked at it too deeply as my system has never had this happen.

I am running a laptop with AMD 3.4GHz 64bit processor and it is fine. I also have a home machine running AMD XP 2700+ chip in a small shuttle case with 1GB RAM and have never had this happen there either.

I second Richards comment. QT Ref files are fast. Sounds like you may have done a standard QT file with the interlacing set backwards or something if it took that long and looked that bad.

Good luck.

Sean McHenry

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Old December 23rd, 2005, 10:37 AM   #169
Inner Circle

Sean's post clicked with me. Yeah, I think the first time around, you converted to a standard quicktime file, unrendered, with the wrong field settings... and other possible missetings as well.

My first system ran fine on dual AMD chips, and yeah, they're not certified with AVID. Lots of people use them just fine, you should know that it might require some tweaking. I'm running dual Xeons now.
Old December 28th, 2005, 08:11 AM   #170
Trustee

Motherboard for Avid HDV

Next January I will probably be editing an HDV project, and it's quite likely I may need to upgrade my MOBO.

My present setup is a Gigabyte GA-7N400V with an AMD 3200, 1GB DDR, GeForce FX5700, plenty of HD storage and Sony/NEC DVD burners.

Even if this setup seems to be able to handle the task, I am not sure if jumping to a dual-core CPU based system would not bring further benefits in speed.

One problem I seem to foresee on some Athlon X2 MOBOs I have seen is that the video is not AGP but PCI-Express, which may limit my video options and probably increase my expense there.

At first I thought that these boards using type 939 sockets would allow using AMD or Intel chips, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

What are my best to options to go by?

Carlos
Old December 28th, 2005, 08:37 AM   #171
Major Player

Hi,

First i am not an Avid user.. but i have asked the same question you have asked..I was interested in possibly learning Avid, and I was going to build a dual core systems.. I asked over on the Avid forum.. and it seems that most people advised against it.. I would suggest that you go over there and take a look at this forum..It seems that Avid is picky about the hardware it runs on.. and most of the Avid people seemed very paranoid about running somethin like a Dual core.. the people there talked like the Dual Core systems were to new and unstable..??

My advice would be to look around and talk to some experiienced Avid people before you decide to build anything..

Mike moncrief
Old December 28th, 2005, 09:16 AM   #172
Inner Circle

Carlos,

www.avid.com is the place to get the specs, and advice on the forum.
Old December 28th, 2005, 09:43 AM   #173
Inner Circle

I run Avid Xpress Pro 5.2.1 on a dual core P4 3.2Ghz using an abit AL8 motherboard without any problems. It's pretty quick, but in many cases there are other system bottlenecks so the CPU is often no longer the limiting factor.
Old December 28th, 2005, 09:48 AM   #174
Trustee

I am aware of Avid minimum PC requirements, but they can be misguiding too... or at least limiting.

They just list Intel based systems, completely ignoring AMD based ones. Does that mean AMD will not work? Certainly not!!!

A friend of mine that is quite up to date on video systems, told me that Express HD literally "flew" on an Athlon 64 based system, faster than on his own Pentium 4 system.

Of course these forums are the right places to look for comments on people that really operated the systems and got actual results, good or bad.

My own computer works quite fine with straight DV and my friend also thinks I shouldn't have any problem with HDV. Perhaps I should go higher on my memory, to 2GB, or get a better video card. But I am mostly interested in doing the first cut here, going to a better editing suite later for color correction and effects.

Carlos
Old December 28th, 2005, 10:41 AM   #175
Inner Circle

Carlos,

Yes, Avid only 'certifies' Intel systems, yes Avid will run on AMD systems, but you can't get support for it from Avid. Your best bet is to inquire on the board for people with similar setups to find out the workarounds and bottleneck issues.

I'd definately go with 2 gigs of Ram.
Old December 28th, 2005, 11:04 AM   #176
Trustee

Doing some looking around.

Yes, apparently there seems to be some issues with 64 bit dual-core and Avid, that is quite likely related to mobo incompatibilities. Until someone gets to tame them.

Of course I don't want to pay the price of paving the road for this, as I don't have the time or the background to do it.

The problem is where to find the answers. Will Athlon 64 bit based systems (non dual-core) do well with Avid? Perhaps it's just a question of getting a compatible board, that will also handle x2, and use a 64 type on it.

Carlos
Old December 29th, 2005, 08:09 AM   #177
Major Player

Hello,

I read this thread again, and i realize when I responded that i was not specific.. I was talking specificly about AMD Dual Core systems..

Mike Moncrief
Old December 29th, 2005, 10:09 AM   #178
Trustee

Avid Xpress Pro Question

I'm a FCP editor and was tooling around on Avid's site today looking at their XpressPro stuff. I was wondering; can you capture HD footage with XpressPro? I didn't see anything that staed if you could or not. If not, what Avid products can you capture HD with?
Old December 29th, 2005, 07:27 PM   #179
Major Player

Are you talking HDCAM?
If so, then you need an Adrenaline System or higher
Old December 30th, 2005, 05:01 PM   #180
Trustee

Thanks for the reply. What HD formats can you capture wth Xpress ProHD?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family