Avid / Pinnacle discussions from 2005 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Closed Thread

Old March 26th, 2005, 05:54 PM   #46
Major Player

As far as I know VFW is completely obsolete now, so that's incredibly unlikely. Hopes for a quicktime codec were more likely though that also seems (legally) impossible given the terms of the licence
Old March 26th, 2005, 06:53 PM   #47
Major Player

Video for Windows is obsolete?
Old March 27th, 2005, 02:26 PM   #48
Major Player

Yes, these days video in XP is handled by DirectX. I guess there could be a VFW codec hacked together by someone but it wouldn't be terribly legitimate (think DivX 3) and would only work in something like VirtualDub (though that would still be really useful.)
Old March 27th, 2005, 08:12 PM   #49
Major Player

VFW and Directshow.
Old March 28th, 2005, 02:43 AM   #50
Major Player

yes, Directshow, my mistake.
Old March 28th, 2005, 04:23 PM   #51
Major Player

Even a Directshow version would be useful. Easier than the command line they released. Maybe in due time, maybe not.
Old April 1st, 2005, 02:37 PM   #52
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

Avid Xpress Pro HD w/ P2 Support

Hey guys, just reviewing some of my past notes and conversations with the folks at Avid. At last NAB they announced P2 support. That means you can you pop the P2 solid-state media into a reader, or the PCMCIA slot on a laptop or desktop machine and the media is LIVE and ready to go! No Didigitizing/ capture required.

Avid Xpress Pro HD fully supports DVCPRO HD now. I checked the Avid DNxHD speca and it has full support for:

DVCPRO HD 1080i/60
DVCPRO HD 1080i/50
DVCPRO HD 720p/60

I'm sure the Avid folks are already working with Panasonic to add support for the full gamut of formats this amazing new camcorder can deliver in. So if this the camcorder you are drooling over, then XPress pro HD is the NLE you should be looking at as well.

http://www.videoguys.com/XpressProHD.html

Gary
Old April 1st, 2005, 03:28 PM   #53
Regular Crew

The Xpress Pro HD 5.1 update adds support for 720p/23.976 as well as 1080p/24.
Old April 1st, 2005, 03:36 PM   #54
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

Just got the an email from Avid with more info.

Announcing Avid Xpress Pro HD 5.1

Expanding on the vast array of video and film editing capabilities found in the affordable, portable Avid Xpress® Pro HD product, Avid is pleased to announce Avid Xpress Pro HD 5.1 for Windows XP. Version 5.1 is available today as a free software-only download for all registered Avid Xpress Pro HD 5.0 customers and will be offered as a paid upgrade kit for Avid Xpress Pro and Avid Xpress DV customers.

Key New Features

Enhancements in Avid Xpress Pro HD 5.1 include:

* An industry first! Live capture of normal pulldown (2:3:2:3) over IEEE-1394. Another Avid breakthrough for native “24-frame” editing. For NTSC 23.976 projects, you can now capture DV25 23.976p and DV50 23.976p material with normal pulldown through a 1394 connection then edit the material and output it as 24p NTSC with 2:3 pulldown (output only is also available as part of Avid Xpress Pro HD 5.0).

* Expanded HD project format support with the addition of 720p/23.976 for use with Panasonic Varicam (capture and output) and 1080p/24 (edit and playback only) for film projects requiring true 24.000fps. There are four new Avid DNxHD™ resolutions for these new formats. See “Newly Supported HD Format” and “New Avid DNxHD Resolutions” below for details.

* Tapeless workflow from acquisition into post with support for:

o Panasonic P2* (DV25 only). Edit directly from P2 cards, or quickly transfer media files to hard disk allowing users to re-deploy P2 cards. P2 cards can use a PC card slot (PCMCIA) in the system or a device like the 5-card Panasonic AJ-PCD10 drive.

o Sony XDCAM (DVCAM (DV25) capture only, no IMX or MPEG4 offline proxy). Customers can efficiently capture media into their edit system via direct import from DVD-ROM and edit native DV25 high-res media.

* Remote Play and Capture: Use Avid Xpress Pro HD like a videotape recorder (VTR) by remotely controlling the capture tool via an external serial connection. Similar to VTR emulation without offspeed support.

* Color Correction Split Screen: The split screen can now be displayed in the Client monitor as well as in the Edit monitor. With this feature, you can accurately compare corrected and uncorrected versions of a segment on a properly calibrated broadcast monitor.

Avid looks to be way out in front here. For more info http://www.videoguys.com/XpressProHD.html

Gary
Old May 1st, 2005, 06:57 AM   #55
Major Player

Avid Workflow w/ Xpress Pro HD w/ HDV

I know that people are using Avid Xpress Pro HD V.5.1.2 w/ HDV using some conversion software. I downloaded a program, CAPDVHS , but it does not see the camera.
The down convert in the camera (via firewire) does not look very good to me, so does anyone have a suggestion? Right now I am exporting using the analog outs through the Avid MOJO, and it is OK, but I am not getting the best results.

Thank you in advance,
George
Old May 1st, 2005, 07:13 AM   #56
Regular Crew

If you capture the files in an external program and rename the .m2t files to .mpg you can load them into Sorenson Squeeze and convert them into a format that Avid understands for import. Of course that does mean recompressing, which will have an impact on picture quality.

Hopefully it won't be too long before Avid finally release their native HDV support.
Old May 1st, 2005, 07:16 AM   #57
Inner Circle

George,

I'm not cutting with 5.12 right now, as I'm in the middle of a large documentary project. But if you go to www.avid.com and ask in the forums there, some really nice people will insult you, and then tell you more than you need to know about anything you ask.

(Trust me.)
Old May 1st, 2005, 07:52 AM   #58
Major Player

Richard, I read the forums on Avid all the time, but the solutions there don't seem to work for me. I may just wait until Avid releases the native HDV patch. It seems that most of the methods to get HDV into the Avid compromise the image quality.

The insults have sadly become part of the forum... gripe and reply.

Thank you,
George
Old May 1st, 2005, 07:55 AM   #59
Inner Circle

Yeah, I'm afraid you''ll have to wait until "mid 05" whatever that means. Sorry, good luck.
Old May 29th, 2005, 02:30 PM   #60
Regular Crew

Does the Avid Xpress Pro HD support Sony's HDCAM's well?

I was just wondering, the Avid Xpress Pro HD supports sony HDCAM's like the Sony HDW-730s well?? Or is it meant for HDV and compresed HD video only??
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family