Avid / Pinnacle discussions from 2005 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Closed Thread

Old November 20th, 2003, 07:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Avid / Pinnacle discussions from 2005

Can anyone help?!

I have Pinnacle Studio 8 with Hollywood fx pro installed on my XP pro powered system, and have recently bought and installed Liquid Edition 5.5

The trouble is that all the transitions, even simple cross fades play back distorted and "garbled"

Cant seem to get the thing to look how it should.

Do you think that I should do a fresh installation of Windows and Liquid, and NOT install Studio 8 aswell....?

Thanks for the help in advance...!
Old November 20th, 2003, 09:27 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Man, you are hating life. I was too. Lost a 1/2 hr. finished project because i installed 5.5 over top of 8. I had to unistall both, thouoghy clean the registry, then install 5.5 alone.

8 will not uninstall cleanly, especially the title deco component. I would advise you isolate all your captured video, kill the scn files from studio 8, reg clean, hunt down anything with the name pinnacle in it and ruthlessly delete it, root the devil out before doing a clean reinstall of 5.5. and don't look back. Good luck!
Old December 12th, 2004, 02:24 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Pinnacle studio to Liquid edition

I have got the Pinnacle studio plus version 9.3 and am going to
upgrade to Pinnacles liquid edition version 6, but there is one
thing bothering me, I have purchased activation keys for various
effects previously, what would actually happen to them?
I presume I would have to uninstall all Studio plus to accomodate the liquid edition

many thanks in advance
Old December 13th, 2004, 01:55 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I recently upgrade from Studio to LE6 and everything was in place, the upgrade went smoothly without event.

Have Fun!
Old December 13th, 2004, 03:57 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Dennis, thanks for reply but I still need to know if I have to
uninstall the studio first!
I seem to recall having problems when installing studio 9 from
studio 8, and if I have to uninstall, do I lose any activation keys
previously bought?
Many thanks
Old January 11th, 2005, 12:02 PM   #6
Major Player

Checkout Pinnacle Forums

Ian,

You may want to visit the Pinnacle Editing Products Forums to answer your question. You'll find support here for Studio and Liquid Edition.

This is an excellent forum, well-supported by experienced users of Studio and LE, as well as Pinnacle support staff. You generally get a well-informed answer quickly.

HTH.
Old January 12th, 2005, 02:07 AM   #7
Inner Circle

ive got both apps running smoothly on this machine here..
Old January 12th, 2005, 01:33 PM   #8
Trustee

If you were running S8 and upgrading to LE 5.5, I would say yes, you need to reinstall. But S9 and LE6 are supposed to be friendly to each other. I have both on my set.
Old January 15th, 2005, 08:12 PM   #9
Inner Circle

well to do the crossupgrade, u have to have it installed anyway, as the installer needs to lock itslelf to the registry of studio before it installs.
Old January 16th, 2005, 12:03 AM   #10
Major Player

Well, this could be an academic issue since a number of users in the Pinnacle forums report running both Studio 9 and LE6 because they prefer some parts of Studio 9. I'm not sure, but I believe I remember seeing it reported that you can install the LE6 upgrade WITHOUT Studio 9 being installed. You simply need to insert the Studio 9 CD when the LE6 installed asks for it.

Again, for confirmation you can post in the Pinnacle forum. (see my previous post for link)
Old January 16th, 2005, 07:19 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Thankyou all to the replies, I have found it mind boggling trying
to get to grips with LE6 ( with studio 9 also installed ) , I
received a cd rom with the LE6 package that won't play the
tutorial, I just get a message on screen........
"cannot find "\file:Dmovies3.html"make sure the path or internet
address is correct. I have now sent the cd rom back to Pinnacle,
maybe they can see if its the cd or if I am doing something wrong.

Many thanks to all
Old January 17th, 2005, 11:04 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Advantages to upgrading from Studio to Liquid Ed. 6

I am fairly new to video editing. I've been using Pinnacle Studio 9 for a few months. I've just bought a good camera, Canon GL2 and I want to start working toward doing this both as a hobby and semi professionally. Should I upgrade to Liquid Edition at this point? It's hard for me to pin point the advantages for me, being a beginner. I've downloaded Adobe Premier Pro Trial and it looks like a pretty big learning curve to swith from Pinnacle to Adobe. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old January 17th, 2005, 01:07 PM   #13
Trustee

Just so you are not under a false assumption, the jump to LE will be as big as to Premiere. I did it (to Liquid) and do not use Studio except maybe twice a year now.

LE has a good deal for Studio users to jump into it. LE (4.5, 5, 5.5, 6) is much more stable. But LE is much more hardware intensive.
Old January 17th, 2005, 04:58 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Thanks for the advice George. I think I have enough hardware. It's a P4, 3.2Ghz, 1gig ram, 2-160gig SATA drives. You actually said the magic word "stable". I've had some trouble with Studio, but I found it very intuitive and would like to stick with Pinnacle if LE is a good way to go.
Old January 17th, 2005, 06:21 PM   #15
Major Player

Jeff,

If you really need a pro NLE, then LE6 is definitely one you would want to consider. Each NLE has its strengths and weaknesses. Take a look at the following:
Comparison of LE6 with Other NLE. For a detailed comparision, see the link to a PDF file at the bottom of the page.
LE6 Features.

However, Studio 9 or Studio 9 Plus may be just the right NLE for you. Only you can decide. :)
See Studio and LE Discussions on the Pinnacle forums for various threads comparing the two.

You may find that upgrading to Studio 9 Plus to be the best option for you now. Later on, if you find Studio 9 does NOT do what you need, you can upgrade to LE6, or some other pro NLE. The upgrade to Studio 9 Plus is only $40.

I will tell you that there are a number of long time Studio 9 users that have upgraded to LE6 who still prefer to use Studio 9 for certain tasks like capture, adding background audio using SmartSound, and DVD authoring. All of these tasks can be done in LE6, it's just a matter of personal preference.

Good luck with your decision.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family