A broad question about Avid at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old December 10th, 2003, 11:03 AM   #1
MPS Digital Studios

A broad question about Avid

I want to become Avid certified to get a new job, but I'm not sure if buying Avid Xpress DV is worthwhile (for the Mac). I love FCP 4 and want to offer clients that choice, but if Avid is any good, it may be another option while I'm getting certified.

Thanks,

heath

ps-Hope this is is on topic in this thread!
Old December 10th, 2003, 12:03 PM   #2
Warden

I'm an Avid Certified editor and I've taught Avid editing, what is your question?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 12:54 PM   #3
MPS Digital Studios

Do you still teach certification? I don't want to take too many classes (WAYYYYYYYY too much money for me), but I'd like to take at least the 201 class (advanced editing techniques for Media Composer, I believe).

I downloaded Avid Free DV to learn stuff on, but is it enough? Should I buy Avid Xpress DV (and maybe use it), even though I'm quite happy with my new purchase of Final Cut Pro 4.

heath
Old December 10th, 2003, 01:35 PM   #4
Warden

No, the school I teach at uses FCP 3. I would say the 201 class would be the right level for you. Why do you want to become certified? I understand the new job, and all but you might want to wait until you get your feet wet on composer before you take the class. There are many similarities between FCP and Avid. Maybe your new employer will pay for the training on Avid.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old December 10th, 2003, 04:40 PM   #5
MPS Digital Studios

I've been doing some research, talking to some producers and houses, and a lot of them know that FCP editors are becoming a dime a dozen in my area (South Florida). Many of them look for something more; believe it or not, Avid experience is great, but an Avid Certification backs it up. I think they've been screwed over before, ie, "I know Avid," and they don't. The Certification kind of guarantees that. To a degree, of course. Experience does help. Oh, and higher end houses are using Avid.

As my buddy in L.A. told me last night, have as many skills available. How else could he have gotten the job cutting on Avid on Lollapalooza (besides the right people knowing he could edit period, not just on Avid).

I wouldn't mind taking a FCP class, but I have learned Avid-certified editors are rare in this area, and are in high demand. And FCP editors who go above and beyond.

And I'm not even talking about an all-in-one person: editor, graphics, animation, even shooting. Those are a diamond in the rough down here, but they're out there. And they have consistent work.

heath
Old December 10th, 2003, 10:36 PM   #6
Warden

Apple has a certification process for FCP also. There was a member from Canada (Regina?) that dropped in from time to time that is a FCP certified trainer. Certification on either or both is a big plus. However, on this coast I find more people interested in my FCP skill than Avid skills. The demand for either seems to be geographically oriented.

If I looked hard enough I might find my books form the classes I took and taught. These might be of some help. But the software has matured in the last 7 years and there have been some significant changes and updates. Do you have access to a Composer at work?

Old December 11th, 2003, 01:48 AM   #7
MPS Digital Studios

At Channel 5, where I work, we have a production company renting out space, Ko-Mar Productions. They have an XPress and Symphony. I think I'll buy the first Avid training book (cheaper on Amazon than on avid.com) and when I'm ready, the other FCP book.

I'm focusing on Avid for now, then FCP certification. I need to learn FCP 4, since it's so different from 3.

THANKS!

heath

ps-Where are you in terms of West Palm Beach?
Old December 11th, 2003, 07:03 AM   #8
Warden

I'm just above Clearwater.

Old December 11th, 2003, 09:49 AM   #9
MPS Digital Studios

Gotcha. Just curious. I'm looking at Ft. Lauderdale and Miami for a new job.

heath
Old December 17th, 2003, 01:04 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I have also taken a few avid certified classes complements of my employer (nice right). Anyway if you plan on skipping the first two classes you will need to have a good understanding of Avid. If you don't you will be lost in class.

A rock solid editor may be able to coach his was through it but it sure is easy when you know what they are talking about. Some of the newbies in my class had it hard with no experience.

I agree being able to say you are certified gives you a little edge over someone who is not. Some of the guys I know on Avid for years and no certification would rock to socks off most of these new cats with a certification though. Experience is still strongly looked at so I would have to say both.

On the other side I am still in FCP 3 and if Avid is not going to come up with a full version to work with OSX they may see a few of us roll over to FCP 4. I use both FCP and Avid and like both.
www.katanapro.com
Marcus Farrar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family