Need help exporting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old May 11th, 2009, 11:17 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Need help exporting

Ok so Im very new to this job field and could use a little help with avid. We run avid express pro 5.5 . this weekend I shot some video on sonys z1u. After putting it all onto avid and editing everything i go to export it. Problem is when i export and burn to dvd its very very choppy. I exported as a qt ref and qt movie. both look like crap. I tried mpeg and that failed. Any help is appreciated!
Charles Mabry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #2
Major Player

Charles:

If you shot with a Z1U in HDV mode, you can't export with a QT reference file. If it's any decent sized program, you have to export it as a QT movie (at about a gig a minute), and then use a compression program like Sorenson or others to squeeze it down to DVD size. (less than 4 gigs)

I have yet to create a DVD out of AVID that I was happy with. I can get pretty smooth video, but it tends to be rather washed-out looking.
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #3
Major Player

Charles, did you capture as DV or HDV?

Bill, what program are you using to encode your footage once it gets out of the Avid? How are you exporting out of Avid? 601 or RGB?
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 11:10 PM   #4
Major Player

Chris: I'm using Sorenson Squeeze. I think I have been exporting it out of AVID both ways, but I believe the current setting is for 601 color.

Any suggestions?
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 09:08 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ward View Post
Charles:

If you shot with a Z1U in HDV mode, you can't export with a QT reference file. If it's any decent sized program, you have to export it as a QT movie (at about a gig a minute), and then use a compression program like Sorenson or others to squeeze it down to DVD size. (less than 4 gigs)

I have yet to create a DVD out of AVID that I was happy with. I can get pretty smooth video, but it tends to be rather washed-out looking.
Bill, you can transcode into DNxHD and create a QT reference file from that. I would do that over creating a QT movie.

FWIW, I have created QT Ref files in MC and then imported them into DVD Architect (which comes with Sony Vegas) and have been very happy with the results.

As for 601 versus RGB color levels, you should use 601. You also may want to try selecting the Use Avid DV codec choice. I believe it corrects a problem that QT can have with mapping color levels.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family