DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Avid Editing Family (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/)
-   -   Slideshow (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/243680-slideshow.html)

George Pada August 5th, 2009 02:04 PM

Slideshow

Ok, my next project is 4 min video from a collection of photos and home videos.
I want to cut it on MC but the avid pan & zoom effect produces serious image quality loss and I am also very uncomfortable with this workflow (I think it's very time consuming).

Is there a plugin or another way that will allow me to do it with less effort or should I go to the after effects instead.

Thanks.

e.g. Any help would be much appreciated since I have a 7day deadline!

Peter Moretti August 5th, 2009 02:56 PM

Boris Continuum Complete has a Pan and Zoom filter in the Distortion & Perspective folder.

Here's a tutorial on how to use it in FCP. It shouldn't much different in MC.

How to pan & zoom in Boris Continuum Complete for FCP - Video | Wonder How To

HTH.

George Pada August 5th, 2009 03:51 PM

Thanks Peter.
Just checked it but I don't like this workflow. It's the same as avid's pan & zoom. I would like to just lay the photos in a timeline until I put them in the right order and then synchronize them to the music and as final step animate them and put transitions.

Last year I edited with premiere pro cs3 a 10min project which was only photos. Then I opened it in After effects did some minor adjustments and exported it in dv format. The result looked very good!

I think I'll go the same direction again...

Jeff Cerar August 7th, 2009 01:03 PM

Use Avid Pan and Zoom

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Pada (Post 1185050)
Thanks Peter.
Just checked it but I don't like this workflow. It's the same as avid's pan & zoom. I would like to just lay the photos in a timeline until I put them in the right order and then synchronize them to the music and as final step animate them and put transitions.

Last year I edited with premiere pro cs3 a 10min project which was only photos. Then I opened it in After effects did some minor adjustments and exported it in dv format. The result looked very good!

I think I'll go the same direction again...

Hi George,

Actually, using Avid's Pan and Zoom effect is the best way to go if you want the best quality in your finished program. Avid P & Z doesn't use the photos directly in the timeline but "refers" to them from the timeline, thus keeping the quality that they were originally scanned. If you import photos into Avid you lose quality, and they won't stand up to a lot of panning and scanning because they will pixelate.

Check this out...

Using Pan and Zoom with Avid Xpress - Final Cut Studio, Avid, Adobe, and Video Streaming

Regards,
Jeff

George Pada August 8th, 2009 01:28 AM

Thank you Jeff.
I'll give it a try...

George Pada August 12th, 2009 03:05 PM

Pan & zoom

Ok, I started this project and I decided to go with the whole avid pan & zoom workflow.
It seems that when I choose the avid HQ filtering all my quality issues dissapear and the photo becomes very clear!
But I'm searching for the feather edges effect now so if anyone has the answer it would be a great help!

Thanks for any reply!

Grinner Hester October 1st, 2009 02:00 PM

Because Avid's DVE is 15 year old technology, you'll wanna use AE for the photos. You'll have much more control over em and you won't lose quality. You can also quickly cut out principals and properties of photos in photoshop and use them as seperate elements, scaling them a little differently or adding blur to the rest of the image, omiting the elements as a fine effect.