DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Avid Editing Family (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/)
-   -   Interesting Combination for Output to tape (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/274411-interesting-combination-output-tape.html)

David Parks August 13th, 2009 12:52 PM

Interesting Combination for Output to tape

I had dinner with a friend of mine who works at one of the larger post houses here and they're using an interesting workflow master to tape. Both SD and HD.

1. Ingest-digitize into DNXHD and edit. They shoot Panasonic P2.
2. Export Sequence into DNXHD Quicktime.
3. Import DNXHD Sequence into Final Cut Pro. Goes into FCP very will from what I hear.
4. Use Color for CC. Round trip back to FCP.
5. Using the Matrox MXO ($900 DVI to HD/SD SDI, and Analog output and converter to HDCAM and Betacam SP.) So, $900 Matrox plus $1000 for FCP 7 vs. $7499 for Avid Mojo DX. Add on around $2000 or less for iMAC or Macbook Pro and you're still a little more than half of the cost of Avid Mojo.

Granted it is not the fastest workflow, but certainly cheaper. With this MXO at least you can monitor MC like a broadcast monitor.

At work we already have both platforms and until Mr. Obama decides what to do with us here at NASA, I'll do some testing. Why not. Then I'll take my sequence over to TVP and do a layoff to tape and let you know.

Cheers.

David Parks August 14th, 2009 12:04 PM

Just FYI...

Ran a test late yesterday.
Avid MC Sequence, HDV 1080i.
Exported to Quicktime DNXHD 145 1920x1080.
FCP - File import, set sequence settings to DNXHD 145 1920x1080 Square Pixels.
Dropped into FCP timeline and whoola, grey line, no rendering.

Now here is where it breaks down a little. Send to Color with DNXHD didn't work at all for me.
It looked like it was working, but then color would have a clip name, and a sequence, but an "X" through it. So then I tried stand alone importing straight into Color and got the same results.

So I changed the sequence settings to ProRes HQ, rendered then Color saw it.

Then I did just basic FCP CC with the DNXHD timeline and had to render, but at least you can set your settings to render in the original codec.

So, you can go back and forth between FCP and Avid if you stay in DNXHD without a major transcode thus saving quality.

Craig Parkes August 14th, 2009 03:50 PM

Hi David, what's more impressive is that with the latest update the AJA brand of Kona cards now support DNxHD in Final Cut natively for playback.

So AVID MC (software) plus Final Cut Plus AJA Kona Card Plus Macpro gives you pretty much all the benefits of both in terms of software functionality, PLUS you get to play out DNxHD and have full deck control setup on the Final Cut Timeline.

In terms of complete solutions I'd say that's the best bang for buck (about to try it myself for an upcoming series.)

David Parks August 15th, 2009 04:49 PM

Craig,

I did not know that. You're right. That is a very flexible route. That also means Avid better get smart about their pricing on I/O solutions. They have always bween overpriced in that regard.

BTW, it is my dream to travel to New Zealand someday. I have heard nothing but good things about your country.

Cheers.

From Parks to Parkes: I have a family reunion coming up in October, come on to Texas and have some barbecue.

Craig Parkes August 16th, 2009 03:55 AM

Hey David, thanks very much for the offer. Don't think I'll make it to Texas anytime soon, although I've got plans to get to the states in the next few years, but if you ever do make it to NZ drop me a message and I'll give you some advice on places to check out. :)

Steve Elgar August 16th, 2009 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Parks (Post 1227040)
Craig,

BTW, it is my dream to travel to New Zealand someday. I have heard nothing but good things about your country.

Cheers.

From Parks to Parkes: I have a family reunion coming up in October, come on to Texas and have some barbecue.

Just be very carefull of the sheep. ;)

(Sorry, couldn't help myself).

Steve.