Ready to order Avid XDV - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old September 3rd, 2002, 03:34 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I'm impatiently waiting

I went ahead and ordered from Mark at Zotz. Anyone here do business w/them? I hope everything is ok, this is a lot of money for me. I'm a bit uncomfortable about paying up front, is this standard procedure? I will send a certified check tomorrow and my system ships next week. Augh!!! Scary.

Becky
Becky McMillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2002, 03:44 PM   #17
Warden

I'm sorry, I didn't make it clear in my post that I do some editing on PC's also (usaully Premiere, sometimes Avid). You have the advantage of knowing your way around a PC and the Windows or NT OS. Turn key systems, in my experience work very well and with few if any conflicts. However, when I walk into a studio with a NLE assembled by the owners next door neighbor (or relative, or a friend of a friend, or . . you get the picture) I can almost guarantee I'll make more money. Why? I get paid by the hour and the machine will probably have issues that will slow me down.

When you deal with clients, you can't afford to have computer troubles. Lost clients are lost dollars (sometimes tens of thousands). Most medium to large size production companies and post houses go with turn key systems for reliability and customer service (phone support, service contracts). Smaller companies, many times do build their own. I have more problems with these than the turn keys. But it's a catch 22, the small companies could never have afforded the turn key systems or the service contracts and support. The small outfits maintain their own machines and do their own upgrades and maintenance. This is where they usually have problems. They attempted an upgrade and something didn't install right and now there is a conflict. It happens all too frequently and many times I have to make apologies to their clients. It happens.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2002, 03:49 PM   #18
Warden

Becky,

Payment in advance is pretty standard and I would rest easy. Zotz is a great company and you should have few, if any problems (sometimes a few bugs to get worked out in a new system). Zotz is a sponsor of the site and Chris Hurd will vouch for their service and integrity. Let us know how everything goes.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2002, 06:18 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Thanks

I feel much better now, but the anticipation is killing me. Thanks guys!!!!

Becky
Becky McMillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2002, 11:05 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Jeff, I guess what I feel like you're saying is that a system that isn't built by an integrator will nearly always have problems, conflicts, etc., whereas a system built by an an integrator is nearly flawless. Perhaps i am overstating your position? I guess my experience is different than that. I know there are many fine system integrators that produce quality systems, but I also know that, even with the best of them, there can still be problems, whether it's system or operator. The educational television department of the school district that I work for uses respected integrators, but they still have problems that need service. I have had really good success building my own systems which I use regularly either in my job with the schools, or my side business, with only occasional problems (sometimes equipment, sometimes operator!). Maybe I'm just lucky, but still I believe that anyone with a good basic knowledge of hardware and software can also have success. Just my opinion!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family