Please direct me to an avid 5d work flow at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old October 24th, 2009, 01:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Please direct me to an avid 5d work flow

I am starting on a project shot on 5D, could someone direct me to an avid work flow
thanks in advance
aloha
tito
Tito Haggardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 12:52 AM   #2
Regular Crew

One way is to use MPEG Streamclip and transcode all of the footage to DNxHD. Once it is in DNxHD you should be able to fast import the material (as opposed to transcoding it again). To my knowledge, Avid does not edit the stuff that those cameras record. I don't know of any NLE that does.
Devin Termini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 03:15 AM   #3
Major Player

You don't say what kind of Avid you are using.

I had the same problem trying to edit my 5D footage in Liquid (which became part of Avid and is now obsolete).

I got good results using TMPG.

I didn't get any help from the Avid Liquid forum and then recently discovered via DV Info that Pinnacle Studio 14 will import and edit the native files.

It's only about 50 UK pounds so I bought it. But it won't install. Elsewhere on the Avid forums I read that installing it might damage my Liquid installation. It was suggested that uninstalling Liquid, installing Studio 14 and then reinstalling Liquid might be a safe route to take.

I asked the Avid helpline about my installation problems. They said that there could be conflicts and that they didn't recommend installing two editing packages on the same computer.

As Liquid and Studio 14 are both their products and they don't know if they will conflict I suppose that it will be difficult to get a definitive answer from any other source.

TMPG does seem to do a good job but it's very slow ie it takes about 9 hours to convert one hour of footage.

The attraction of using Studio 14 is that, if it works with the 5D files, you can edit your footage and export the parts you need. Which should be quicker.

So far I have spent days if not weeks trying to find the best solution. Neither the Liquid forum or Avid have been helpful. So you are on your own I'm afraid.
Old November 14th, 2009, 01:04 PM   #4
Regular Crew

i am working with a PC and Media Composer
i am going to try to post this question on the AVID forum again.
will report back if i learn anything
aloha
tito
Old November 22nd, 2009, 06:30 PM   #5
Major Player

You can import the 5D MOV files directly into MC (Transcoding to DNxHD). It does take a long time to import them. We import them to DNx36 at 1080p24, so it drops frames, but that is just for the offline, so it is sufficient for our needs. The 7D is much better in that regard.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 10:29 AM   #6
Regular Crew

MPEG Streamclip

The answer is right up there I used MPEG Streamclip and transcoded all of the footage to DNxHD.

1. H264 30 fps .mov file off the camera memory to PC

2. Shareware MPEG Streamclip from Squared 5 (Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows) to convert file by file from 30 fps to an appropriate avid supported rate - for me being PAL - 25fps with the DNxHD 185 codec.

3. Import into Xpress Pro project of 1080p 25fps - edit away.

To test this (as I don't have the camera yet) downloaded two sample clips supposedly off the camera from this site Canon EOS 5D Mark II: 21MP and HD movies: Digital Photography Review recoding and importing them, I have found that I can edit, sendto and export them nicely from Avid Xpress Pro Studio.

For me, a great weekend's piece of research and I am ready to sell my HVR-Z1P and finally get an HD video camera with interchangeable lenses. The fantastic still capabilities at 21mp are an excellent bonus!.

With regards

Jeff
Jeff Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2010, 12:31 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Termini View Post
I don't know of any NLE that does.
Edius does, both the pro and the lite "Neo" version.

In the new Neo you can edit natively several layers of 5D footage.
Old February 4th, 2010, 06:45 PM   #8
Major Player

That's strange I loaded mine straight into Avid. It transcodes but no need to go 3rd party.
Peter Szilveszter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 06:38 AM   #9
Regular Crew

5D2 import

Hello Peter, I am not an expert as I don't have the camera yet. From what I have read the material imports into a 1080 60i project, however the clips are 30 fps. So when you export or sendto you get a screwy frame rate.

The raw 5d2 mov file has to be recoded to a frame rate Avid Xpress or MC4 accept, ie: 24, 25 or 29 point something for NTSC.

Neo or MPEG Streamclip are used to do this before import. Then it is imported into Avid.

With regards

Jeff
Old February 15th, 2010, 07:51 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Update

I received my 5D2 last Friday - installed MC4 and bingo as you say - the mov imports directly to the timeline of a project (with any frame-rate settings) edits, sendto and exports in your final desired frame rate. Very smooth workflo and fast compared to my who ha with AVCHD conversion.

Also a much smoother frame rate in the final export too. No variations in the flow of the frame rate. Very impressed.

Regards

Jeff
Old February 15th, 2010, 09:52 PM   #11
Major Player

Glad to hear it, that's one big bonus with Avid, compared to the other NLE's. I run 3.5 and that has no issues except I have to have the right project setting. Unlike v4 which has any frame rates now.

Only if AVCHD was implemented. :(
Peter Szilveszter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 03:17 AM   #12
Regular Crew

peter
what project setting do you use.
i have v3 now so an upgrade might make things easier.
aloha
tito
Old March 1st, 2010, 03:58 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Mark II output.

Loving my 5D Mark II and MC4. One point though, I am an Academic user and so on the old Studio Version for the Plugins until I upgrade the Production Suite.

How are people rendering their projects to mp4 for Vimeo please?

I know Sorensen 5 will give me more options, however at the moment the Sorensen Pro MPEG setting is taking 6 hours to render 10 minutes of video.

Is it better in v5 of Sorensen? I am also on old Dual Xeon Hardware and will probably have to upgrade to a Quadcore (boy this gets expensive for an amateur).

With regards

Jeff
Jeff Murray is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family