Media Composer not saving clips to bin at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old March 22nd, 2010, 02:41 PM   #1
New Boot

Media Composer not saving clips to bin

Ive been trained on Avid but that was in 2002. Its been 8 years since I've used Avid and I've never used Media Composer so I'm a little rusty, hope someone can help.

I'm using a Canon HV30 to capture from. I have it plugged directly into my comp. The Avid recognizes the camera and will take control of it. I open the capture tool, set my V1 and A1, push the capture button, the camera starts to play, but the computer is not recording anything.

Is there something I'm missing??

Thanks
JIM
Jim Yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 03:37 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Did you select a bin to capture the clips to? Are you seeing the video in the composer monitor?
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 12:47 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Can you shuttle and control deck? In DECK PREFERENCES under SETTINGS you did select your camera/deck as the machine (or at least generic dv device). If you can shuttle, have v & a1/a2 tracks selected you should be able to capture. Did you specify a media drive?
Mike Poglitsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 08:59 AM   #4
Major Player

Jim,

Double check and make sure that you're in the right project settings for HDV/30.
1. Make sure you're in HDV raster size, 1440x1080
2. Make sure you're project is in 1080i.
3. Make sure you're format tab is not in 30i.

I think that might be your problem.

Hope this helps, David
Old March 24th, 2010, 09:24 AM   #5
Trustee

Could be the camera, too. They have the ability to downconvert from HDV to DV on the fly. But if you have an HDV project, and downconvert on in the camera, Avid detects it as a DV cam and it doesn't work.
Old May 5th, 2010, 06:26 AM   #6
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Yates View Post
Ive been trained on Avid but that was in 2002. Its been 8 years since I've used Avid and I've never used Media Composer so I'm a little rusty, hope someone can help.

I'm using a Canon HV30 to capture from. I have it plugged directly into my comp. The Avid recognizes the camera and will take control of it. I open the capture tool, set my V1 and A1, push the capture button, the camera starts to play, but the computer is not recording anything.

Is there something I'm missing??

Thanks
JIM
Jim - one of the great things about Avid is the capture tool hasn't changed much in 8 years. Check the things the guys said but also if you have hardware IO connected make sre you have the correct video and audio input selected - in this case IEEE1394. Mind you the Avid will pump up an error message if you don't - failed to detect incoming video or audio signal.

Also remember you have to hit the red button when you start and stop recording to drop the clip automatically into a bin. The ed button should flash if it is working correctly.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 08:39 PM   #7
Regular Crew

You did select video & audio tracks for capture, right?
Mike Poglitsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 05:51 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I have the same camera and apart from some issues with capturing some times, it captures fine.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family