Saw a Media Composer demo live tonight - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old June 3rd, 2010, 07:13 PM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
I suspect this is because I used the Mpeg2 option.
I suspect that's it as well. I've never had success trying to import mpeg2 with Avid.

Quote:
I looked at the Mac instruction booklet (it's different than the PC one) and it appears that there are specific FCP drivers much like the Avid ones. So you can actually do your normal capture from inside FCP using the Matrox box. That should let you choose whatever codec you'd like.
I've just checked out the manuals as well. Looks like in Windows it won't work, cause the MXO2 captures to *.avi, which doesn't work with AMA, I think. In Mac, it will capture to Quicktime, but using the Matrox codec, if I'm understanding the manual correctly. But if Avid's claims are correct, AMA should work on these files.

Thanks for the info, Perrone. It's much appreciated.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 10:59 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I took some time and did another capture, but in uncompressed 8bit. That didn't work in Avid either. So MC4 is ignorant of the Matrox codecs.

I would LOVE to see someone do this in a quicktime file though and see if AMA will pick it up. If that works, I am going to scream loudly at Matrox since once again, Macs will be getting something the PCs aren't, and for no reason at all.
Old June 6th, 2010, 03:08 AM   #18
Trustee

Shaun, I know you've thought a lot about this, but I don't want someone else to read this and get the "wrong" idea.

Nitris DX is NOT the only capture box that will work natively w/ MC. Mojo DX will as well. It's by no means cheap, but it's also substantially cheaper than Nitris DX.
Old June 6th, 2010, 08:46 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
I took some time and did another capture, but in uncompressed 8bit. That didn't work in Avid either. So MC4 is ignorant of the Matrox codecs.

I would LOVE to see someone do this in a quicktime file though and see if AMA will pick it up. If that works, I am going to scream loudly at Matrox since once again, Macs will be getting something the PCs aren't, and for no reason at all.
Perrone, I know Cineform has a utility program called HDLink that can convert AVI to MOV by rewrapping (no transcode). Not sure if it only works w/ Cineform encoded files or any AVI.
Old June 6th, 2010, 08:58 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Moretti View Post
Perrone, I know Cineform has a utility program called HDLink that can convert AVI to MOV by rewrapping (no transcode). Not sure if it only works w/ Cineform encoded files or any AVI.
It's no biggie. I've got tools to do a transcode if I need it.
Old June 6th, 2010, 01:40 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Moretti View Post
Shaun, I know you've thought a lot about this, but I don't want someone else to read this and get the "wrong" idea.

Nitris DX is NOT the only capture box that will work natively w/ MC. Mojo DX will as well. It's by no means cheap, but it's also substantially cheaper than Nitris DX.
ABSOLUTELY. Just comparing the full I/O options of the Matrox MXO2 box against the same/similar feature set in AVID hardware and one needs to jump to Nitris IF one needs/wants ALL the same connectivity.

For my needs/wants for my NEXT box, I would feel more comfortable having an "anything in/anything out" solution (minus of course 2k/3k/4k) and with out a doubt, that comes with a price. I am seriously looking at "jumping ship" but it needs to work on several fronts; affordability being one, workflow and reliability being significant others.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family