MC & Premiere at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old July 1st, 2010, 07:43 AM   #1
Major Player

MC & Premiere

I have to make a decision between editing on Premiere or MC. Does anyone have experience with both?
I just don't have the time to learn both right now. I think MC might have a longer learning curve. I already use After Effects so Premiere may be easier. Although, with that said, it's more about what will be better in the long haul and not what's easier. Thanks.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:34 AM   #2
Major Player

Rob,

IMHO, After Effects is a completely different monster and has a different role to play in post production. So I wouldn't assume that you would like Premiere because you use AFX. I like premiere, espscially the titling, but for long-form work Avid has much better media management. I would download trials for each and test drive both.
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:45 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks David. I should have clarified that I own both.
Old July 1st, 2010, 10:25 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Rob - you own both... What? Premiere and MC? Premiere and After Effects?

What are the demands of your production workflow? What is the final output likely to be? Are you working alone, capture to delivery? Are you working with multiple formats of a particular flavor? What sort of computing platform are you working on, MAC or PC? Will you need to move between platforms? What about co-ordinating with other facilities, what are they working with?
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 11:15 AM   #5
Major Player

Richard,

I am a 1 man wrecking crew. I own MC v5 and I own Adobe Master Collection CS5 for PC. I am not editing on either one yet. I shoot events, training videos, etc., from shooting to output in HDV. Final output is mainly DVD or internet but I also have to get out AVI (or similar) files when working with others. Obviously, I am looking for the best quality with the fastest workflow. I do collaborate on some projects with some FInal Cut users.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 09:09 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Either platform will accomplish your end product goals. Only you can determine if the interface and workflow seems 'intuitive' to you. My suggestion - cut together two small projects. Start with raw footage, finish with delivery. Try the project on each platform. First one, then the other (For a total of TWO different projects). Then make your judgement.

I haven't cut on Premier in many years. I mostly cut on Avid. So I'm more familiar with it, and it seems more 'intutitive'. But I've cut on FCP and Vegas, and still prefer AVID.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 08:51 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks Richard.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family