XDCam importing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old February 28th, 2011, 10:04 AM   #1
Major Player

XDCam importing

So, I have temporary possession of an F330 XDCamHD camera. After downloading XDCam Browser and FAM drivers, I see the camera just fine, and AVID even thoughtfully auto-imports a bin full of AMA clips for me.

However; I can't follow the recommended workflow for importing, because my import dialog box does not show the "XDCam" button. I can manually find the camera and import off the disc using the taskbar, but I'm worried that this will result in either inferior video quality, or editing troubles down the line if I have to re-link, or export the project by way of transcode or consolidation. I have had such issues with bringing in XDCam EX video before.

Any idea why the AVID software isn't giving me the XDCam tab for importing?
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 04:26 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: XDCam importing

AMA in Avid is a different workflow than regular import. If you turn off AMA and reboot Avid then you will be able to follow a regular import workflow. ie you will see the XDCAM import tab.

Also, XDCAM HD is different than EX in that it does not have to rewrap the files. You can just import directly from Avid without using Clipbrowser.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 07:34 PM   #3
Major Player

Bob: thanks for the info!

In your experience, no downside at the end of the edit when getting the sequence back out of the system, when using direct import funneling XDCam HD straight into AVID, as opposed to going through XDCam Browser?
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 09:06 AM   #4
Major Player

Bill,
XDCAM HD and XDCAM EX are different file systems. You do not need the Clipbrowser software for XDCAM HD disc files. Here is a link to workflow.

Sony | Micro Site XDCAM

You can import directly from the disc into Avid. Depending on the version of Avid that you are using you can edit the native files or transcode to DNXHD for heavy effects editing needs.

Did turning off AMA give you access to the XDCAM import tab?
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 07:36 PM   #5
Major Player

Bob: sorry for the delay. Stoopid paying shoots sometimes get in the way of sitting endlessly in front of the NLE.

You are spot on. Killed AMA, rebooted, and automatic tab for XDCam import arrives like magic. Brilliant!

Also tried the consolidate function (which reared its ugly head for EX video) No problems at all. Thanks for your help.
Bill Ward is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family