Avid Studio? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 09:55 AM   #1
Major Player

Avid Studio?

This might be a silly question, but does anyone know how similar the interface/workflow of Avid Studio is to Media Composer?

I'm hoping it would suffice as a cheap way to get used to cutting in the Avid family again (it's been a while), since I don't have the funds for MC right now... :)

Thanks!
Bryan Cantwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 07:26 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Avid Studio?

While I haven't edited anything in Avid Studio, I'm pretty sure the workflow, features are very different than Media Composer.

If you're coming back to Avid from FCP, there is a switcher program MC for $999.00. If you're a student, you can get a student version for I believe $299.00.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 08:00 AM   #3
Major Player

I'm quite sure the feature set is greatly reduced in the Studio program, but I'd still like to hear from anyone who's used it... I'm most just curious about the interface.

Unfortunately I don't have an FCP license to trade in (all licenses here are owned by my employer, and they aren't switching), nor am I a college student, so that discount is out, too. Thanks for the suggestions, though, I didn't know Avid gave that deep of a discount to students! Hopefully someone else here can benefit from that tip.
Bryan Cantwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 04:02 PM   #4
Trustee

I haven't used both, but from what I've heard and seen, learning Studio isn't going to be of much help with learning MC.

BTW, your employer doesn't have to fully switch to MC or drop FCP to get the discount. And the discount applies to any version of FCP up to an including FCP 7, but not FCP X.

Avid - MC for FCP Users Promotion FAQ
Old December 3rd, 2011, 04:42 PM   #5
Major Player

I'm not going to be a whole lot of help. I use CS5 and Avid Studio, but not MC.

There is no learning curve in Studio. It's simple and for many projects, I very much prefer it to Premier.
As far as MC, the two look alike, that's as far as I can take you.
Don Litten is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family