OT -- free Switchers Guide to MC 5, 5.5, and 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old November 28th, 2011, 02:30 AM   #1
HDV Cinema

OT -- free Switchers Guide to MC 5, 5.5, and 6

Experienced Avid editors, the ones who's hands never leave their keyboard and turn-off Smart Tools will hate it, but for those "mousers" who are struggling with Media Composer, my new 236-page "The Switcher's Guide to the Media Composer" is FREE on Cyber Monday.

Remember if you can run OS X in 64-bit mode you can download V6. If you can only run in 32-bit mode, download 5.5. I'm running v6 under 10.6.8 with no problems.

DVC

Steve Mullen
Old November 28th, 2011, 06:50 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: OT -- free Switchers Guide to MC 5, 5.5, and 6

Very nice, Steve!

Ned Soltz
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2011, 03:21 PM   #3
HDV Cinema

Thank you.

IMO the V6 UI is so much better than FCP -- I just don't see why more folks don't switch to MC. I reviewed the Ninja with ProRes AMA and it worked very well. Plus, with AVCHD via AMA you have a very nice option for SD media.

Steve
Old November 29th, 2011, 08:23 AM   #4
Major Player

Steve, Just switched to Avid and downloaded your guide this AM. I was expecting to see a "pay now" button or something, but it just downloaded. Was your cyber monday deal all week? I don't want to not pay if that was unintentional.
p
Old November 29th, 2011, 08:06 PM   #5
HDV Cinema

Because of the time differences for those who might come to my site and the fact it was a busy Monday for many, I decided to not turn off the FREE download.

To avoid confusion, I've made it a Cyber Week like other companies are doing.

PLEASE post your comments -- especially any errors you find.

Thank you for letting me know.

Steve
Old December 1st, 2011, 09:55 AM   #6
Major Player

Thank you, I will post as I go through the guide.
p
Old December 1st, 2011, 02:50 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thank you VERY MUCH for that great Guide.
I am just about to switch from FCP to AVID but I still need to finish some FCP-Projects.
I have heard that FCP 7.03 and OSX 10.7.2 do not always work together very well. - Is that true? FCP7 and MC6 will be on the same machine.
You are not having any problems with MC6 and 10.6.8 - so why is everyone saying you HAVE to upgrade to Lion before installing MC6?
Thomas Diehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2011, 07:39 PM   #8
Major Player

Thank you Steve!
Old December 3rd, 2011, 04:57 AM   #9
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Diehl View Post
Thank you VERY MUCH for that great Guide.
I am just about to switch from FCP to AVID but I still need to finish some FCP-Projects.
I have heard that FCP 7.03 and OSX 10.7.2 do not always work together very well. - Is that true? FCP7 and MC6 will be on the same machine.
You are not having any problems with MC6 and 10.6.8 - so why is everyone saying you HAVE to upgrade to Lion before installing MC6?
Thank you!

I'm still back on FCP 6.0.3 because it really does everything I need. And, I'm finding a combination of iMovie 11 and MC work fine for me. Because MC 5 requires 10.6.8, I stayed there.

So I uninstalled MC from my wife's 4GB MBP and downloaded MC 6. I too worried if it wouldn't run.

When I started it, up came a "message" saying MC 6 was designed for 10.7. But, I clicked OK and up it started. It's been running perfectly for almost 30 days.

I did get an audio error. So I went to Avid Users Group and others had found it. They said a fix was to increase the audio buffer to 8MB. So I went to Settings > Audio and there was the ability to increase the buffer. I've not had an issue since.

PS: anyone who is a member of Avid-L: I cannot get a posting about the free copy to go through. If anyone can post, I'll leave the eBook free for a longer time. I'm really looking for feedback as everyone of my friends uses FCP. :(

Glad to hear some are trying MC. I find Avid's CC to be necessary when trying to restore old VHS and Hi8 videos.
Old December 15th, 2011, 06:15 AM   #10
HDV Cinema

I'm getting ready to head to Asia for a month and I've decided to simply leave my Avid eBook free for download during the holidays.

Happy Holidays!

Steve
Old March 29th, 2012, 04:04 AM   #11
HDV Cinema

Until Apple cancels MobilMe and thus iDisk at the end of May, my eBook is FREE.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family