Media Composer/DSLR Work Flow at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old March 23rd, 2013, 09:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Media Composer/DSLR Work Flow

I''ve been an Avid Editor for about 17 years now, about 2 years ago I switched to Final Cut Pro (had a project that demanded it). I was okay with it, but still have Avid instincts and it's just more comfortable. I just purchased Media Composer 6.0 So now, I'm getting used to the changes in Media Composer over the last two years.

I'm editing a lot of DSLR projects and using PluralEyes 3 for synching. I like the potential of the AMA workflow, but am having issues getting to to synch in PluralEyes.

Okay the nitty gritty details. The media was shot on a Canon 7D. Originally the project was to be cut in FCP 6, so the video has been compressed to Apple Pro-Res 422 (HQ). Audio is the unaltered original WAV files recorded on a Zoom H4.

I used AMA to bring media into MC6.. When I export for PluralEyes, I get a message warning about multiple audio sample rates and and error message when I try to synch in PluralEyes.

My question, can I use Apple ProRes in MC6? Is it just a bad idea? If it will work, should I be compressing the audio before importing? If so to what? Or should I recompress the video to another format?

I know I could avoid all this by importing old-school-style, converting to MXF files, but I'd like to see if this workflow would work.

Thanks in advance.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 10:40 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Media Composer/DSLR Work Flow

Bring the material into Avid and transcode to DNXHD. Avid will work with this material much better. Another option is to upgrade to Avid 6.5.2 and Avid will handle the ProRes material in a better fashion. No experience with the Plural Eyes workflow.

You cannot import ProRes with the older import workflow, you need to use AMA.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2013, 10:17 PM   #3
Major Player

I can't comment on PluralEyes but I have had experience with DualEyes and found it to be a lot easier to use.

The processing takes place before import into Avid. You feed the audio/video files into the program, and it spits out the synced files which you then import into your NLE.

Hope that helps.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 04:42 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the feedback. I guess my next question would be if I have to transcode the video, what would be the advantage to doing that and using the AMA workflow instead of just importing it and converting everything to MXF files?
Old April 24th, 2013, 04:52 PM   #5
Inner Circle

AMA + dSLR + direct editing = enough frustration to quit the business all together. The system performance with this approach is HORRIBLE!

There is no fast import with that footage. Even if you do a direct import it still gets transcoded.

AMA does sidestep the gamma issues that you will have if you import directly so the best workflow is to AMA link then transcode all the footage in the bin. It is also faster than a straight import.
Old April 25th, 2013, 11:56 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks, Chris. I guess my breakdown in logic hit awall. I never considered, well, maybe it just doesn't work.
Old April 26th, 2013, 12:06 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Medico View Post
AMA + dSLR + direct editing = enough frustration to quit the business all together. The system performance with this approach is HORRIBLE!

There is no fast import with that footage. Even if you do a direct import it still gets transcoded.

AMA does sidestep the gamma issues that you will have if you import directly so the best workflow is to AMA link then transcode all the footage in the bin. It is also faster than a straight import.
Just to add a contrasting opinion - I frequently use AMA to edit DSLR footage, and while it does effect Avid's performance slightly, I find it perfectly fine for smaller projects (on my Macbook Pro).

In larger projects though (10 mins+) I don't bother with AMA, as Avid usually grinds to a halt.

FYI, I'm using Media Composer 6.5.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2013, 12:44 PM   #8
Inner Circle

The performance is much better on the MAC side. It is unusable for anything beyond logging of video on the PC side.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family