DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Avid Editing Family (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/)
-   -   Why no Avid Xpress Pro Section? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/55000-why-no-avid-xpress-pro-section.html)

Josh Caldwell November 25th, 2005 05:02 PM

Why no Avid Xpress Pro Section?

Just wondering why there's isn't a message board for DV editing on Avid.

Josh

Chris Hurd November 25th, 2005 05:23 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, Josh. With nearly 400,000 posts in our database, it's hard to keep up with everything going on around here. Do we have enough existing threads discussing Avid for SD or HD to warrant a dedicated forum? I don't start empty boards; we need about twenty topics or so already going in order to devote a specific forum to it.

Richard Alvarez November 25th, 2005 05:41 PM

Josh,

Those of us who cut on Avid are in a definite minority on this board. I usually get my tech questions answered at the Avid forum. Full of lots of knowledgeable people, but a lot of them are 'crusty old pros' who can be a bit short tempered when it comes to asking basic questions. RTFM is a big response to answers you could have gotten by doing a hand search of your manual. Still, for serious questions it's a good space. Not as friendly as this board. (Thanks in HUGE part to Chris and the generous moderators) But Avid tech does read it and respond occasionally to issues that arise. Marianne is the customer service rep, and a good lady.

www.avid.com

Under the "Support and Training" tab, click on forums.

Chris Hurd November 25th, 2005 05:52 PM

See this is why there's no Canopus forum here either. They do a great job running their own forum and I see no reason to try to repeat what they do.

Josh Caldwell November 25th, 2005 05:59 PM

Hey Chris,

Thanks. I was just curious. I do use the boards over at the Avid forum. I didn't know that to have a board for it there needs to be a significant amount of posts regarding it already. (Thought it might be a Chicken before the egg thing, people don't post cause there's no board for it.)

It's not a big deal, I was just curious why one wasn't up.

Thanks,
Josh

Chris Hurd November 25th, 2005 06:35 PM

Yeah, if there's one thing I don't like to do it's starting an empty forum. But lots of the boards on this site came about because folks were frequently talking about something on one of the other general boards here. That's how the whole "Alternative Imaging Methods" thing began, to cite our most famous example. I'm not at all opposed to firing up an Avid board but we'd need a couple of trusted, experienced people who enjoy talking about Avid in order to help maintain it... not to mention to help gather up all the existing threads, provided that we have that many. What, I don't know everything going on around here? That's right! It's too much to keep up with sometimes That's what the poor hapless volunteer moderators are for, heh.

Matt Brabender November 25th, 2005 07:11 PM

I use Avid and while I'd love an Avid section and lots of discussion, I agree that there definately hasn't been enough posts about Avid to warrant a new section.
Just post the threads in Non-linear DV Editing on the PC for now.

Sean McHenry November 30th, 2005 11:00 PM

I would post if there was one. The only thing I can say is that if there were an Avid section here, it would get some informal postings. The Avid boards, while they can be fun, are mostly serious. And while these forums are quite helpful, I think we have more fun here than the Avid forums can have.

Either way, I'm still here.

Sean McHenry

Matt Brabender November 30th, 2005 11:36 PM

Definately - I feel like a naughty child sometimes poking around the Avid forum for information people learnt years ago.
Nice people, but like you said, a lot more serious.

Chris Hurd November 30th, 2005 11:37 PM

Sorry about that, Sean and Matt, but the goal here at DV Info Net actually is to keep it serious and to keep things on-topic. While there is a definite sense of humor among our best members (and a rather elevated one at that), it's pretty subtle by intention. The main idea here is to keep the noise level down and stay focused on creating a friendly and easily searchable repository of solid technical information that's relatively free of distractions, like a library ideally. I want this site to appeal mostly to working professionals who are looking for a serious, distraction-free environment of information exchange. Thanks for understanding,

Ari Shomair December 2nd, 2005 10:54 AM

As an extreme avid amateur (Just bought Avid a month ago), I find the official Avid forums a little intimidating for the reasons outlined above -

Richard Alvarez December 2nd, 2005 11:49 AM

Yup, if you ask a question that's 'in the manual'... you'll get a pounding. Lots' of 'crotchety old pro's' on the forum. BUT it is a great place to get solid information. Just SEARCH the forum first for your topic, then RTFM, THEN if you don't find what you need, ask away. Like I said, Marianne from AVID is really helpful.

George Ellis December 2nd, 2005 02:16 PM

Well, the new Avid Liquid forum is a little more polite. You should have gotten that instead ;)

Sean McHenry December 2nd, 2005 04:50 PM

See, there you go. Liquid was with a, how should I say this, less professional(?) company. So when those guys showed up on the Avid forums, I'm guessing there is some gumbeling going on. There sure was when they bought Pinnacle. We were all wondering what they were thinking.

They should have tried for Matrox. Then the Axio wouldn't end up being a small thorn in their side.

Anyway, I bow to Chris. It's his house. There is already so much going on here it staggers my mind.

Sean

George Ellis December 5th, 2005 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean McHenry
See, there you go. Liquid was with a, how should I say this, less professional(?) company. So when those guys showed up on the Avid forums, I'm guessing there is some gumbeling going on. There sure was when they bought Pinnacle. We were all wondering what they were thinking.

They should have tried for Matrox. Then the Axio wouldn't end up being a small thorn in their side.

Anyway, I bow to Chris. It's his house. There is already so much going on here it staggers my mind.

Sean

Only the Avid folks were grumbling. The only whining from the former PCLE folks has been that the Avid forums are not well organized by topic (hardware, edit, import/log, output, etc.).

And are you misunderestimating the Fast product, Liquid and what Studio is morphing too? They have some things no one else have. You should sit with someone and watch the workflow. I like the unlimited undos, autosave, and background render while I am editing :D Avid also bought one of the biggest consumer NLEs, which they lacked. Some folks make a lot more money selling a lot of inexpensive things vs a few expensive ones.

Chris - For the future, you could dump all things Avid in it, which would include Avid Studio now. But I kind of agree that there is not that much traffic for it.