Avid / Pinnacle discussions from 2003 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Closed Thread

Old June 30th, 2003, 02:17 PM   #61
Tourist

Avid and the DVX100

I beleive Avid's Xpress Pro supports this camera nicely. I suggest you go to www.24p.com. The website was created by Michael Phillips, one of Avid's top guys, who created the Film Composer, and can probably answer your questions as well as anyone in the world. He owns a DVX.

Sam Kauffmann, author of
Avid Editing: A Guide for Beginning and Intermediate Users, Focal Press
Old June 30th, 2003, 03:55 PM   #62
New Boot

XL1 input

It seems to work fine if the XL1 goes straight in.

Had no problems at all yesterday through the LACIE drive - well only one "write delay failed", but I can live with that.

Thanks

Anth
Old July 3rd, 2003, 01:42 PM   #63
Regular Crew

16x9 and AVID xpress DV

I have footage captured in 16x9 mode on an Xl1s that I have been editing on AVID xpress DV 3.5. I'm having trouble exporting the footage in 16x9 mode. I was trying to export to quicktime just as an experiment. It looks like 4:3, even if I check the box that says '16:9 non-square'

Do I need to customize the 'size' setting? If so, what is the correct proportions?

Is 720x486 the standard?

can someone enlighten me?

_steven
Old July 3rd, 2003, 10:43 PM   #64
Major Player

"Unidentifiable Error While Recording" Xpress DV

Hey Guys--So I'm trying to cut a commercial on Avd Xpress DV 3.0, running Windows 2000, digitizing from my DVX100. I have fixed the Service Pack 3 issue with the OHCI patch (for those of you who are familiar with this issue) and am able to control the camera from the Record Tool in Avid. The problem is, when I try to record, it appears to work for a second, and then I get this message:

Unidentifiable Error While Recording

If I hit more it says: DIO Producer: Digital I/O Missing Starting Timecode.

Sooooo...any ideas? Like I said, hooked up to Panasonic DVX100 via Firewire, Avid recognizes/controls camera, tapes have continuos timecode etc.

Also, if I restart the program, the first time I get an error message it tells me the tape is drop frame and it was expecting Non-drop frame.

OK, thanks for the help!!

Peter
Old July 8th, 2003, 07:59 AM   #65
Major Player

You will have to record black to the tape first.

You can't record to a tape via avid remote mode that doesn't already have timecode.

You can always crash record via local mode, where avid basically sends the data down the firewire and you press record manually on the deck
Old July 8th, 2003, 11:42 AM   #66
Major Player

Thanks John,

I should have been more clear in my post. I was having trouble capturing, not recording using the Digital Cut tool. I solved the problem by just turning off the timecode on the record--I will not need to do a later batch digitize anyway.

Peter
Old July 10th, 2003, 07:06 AM   #67
Major Player

Yup! Avid likes timecode. Otherwise you have to crash record or crash capture.
Old August 27th, 2003, 11:22 AM   #68
Tourist

Avid Mojo hardware rt nle for pc, mac, even laptops!?

http://www.avid.com/products/dna/mojo/index.asp

I think this is a pretty new product. Anyone used this or heard of any real world experiences with it? Will it allow me to turn my old Pentium III laptop in to a portable real time editing station?

Any input would be appreciated. I think this is what a lot of us who edit in the field have been waiting for. Let me know you guys think.

Thanks,
Ed
Old August 28th, 2003, 03:54 PM   #69
Regular Crew

I've only heard the best about it. A buddy of mine uses it and says its great. real time EFX, 1:1 uncompressed video ratio. From what I have heard, there is not much if anything that can compare to it unless you go x-treme high end. The out-put too is suppose to be better quality as well.

Best of luck with it, it definitely sounds like something to really check out.
Old August 28th, 2003, 04:54 PM   #70
Regular Crew

Does the $1600 price tag really come with AVID MOJO? I thought that that price only pays for the Power Pack.

: ]
Old August 28th, 2003, 06:00 PM   #71
Inner Circle

Actually a Final Cut Pro system can do what an Avid system does while usually much cheaper (although Avid is catching on and pricing lower). Most people find that Avid is a bit better for cutting and has more time-saving shortcuts. I wouldn't know about stability. FCP4 doesn't seem quite reliable yet. The Mojo board might have revision A problems (you know, never buy the first generation of anything).
Old August 29th, 2003, 09:15 AM   #72
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Randy Reyes : Does the $1600 price tag really come with AVID MOJO? I thought that that price only pays for the Power Pack. -->>>

Nope, Avid Xpress Pro and the Mojo hardware are two seperate purchases.
Old September 19th, 2003, 11:43 AM   #73
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

Avid Mojo & Xpress Pro around the cormer!

We just got word from Avid. Xpress Pro upgrades ship next week and Mojo ships by month end!! We've got some great bundle deals for you:

Amazing deal! While Supplies Last!
Xpress DV 3.5 PowerPack with Xpress Pro Upgrade $1499!!
You Save $200 on Xpress Pro PLUS you get the full versions of Boris FX & Grafitti ($400 value)!!
The Xpress Pro Upgrade includes everything you would get by buying the full retail versions. All software, manuals & docs are included. The only thing missing is the higher price!

Xpress Pro & Mojo BUNDLES

- If you already own Xpress DV we've got a great upgrade offer for you.
Xpress Pro Upgrade & Mojo $1999.00

- If you are looking to start from scratch, you can save big bucks by taking advantage of this great bundle. Xpress DV, Xpress Pro Upgrade & Mojo $2995.00

Mojo Add-A-Buck! First 50 people to order one of our Mojo bundles gets a 4X DVD Burner for $1.00!!

For more info http://www.videoguys.com/XpressPro.html

Gary
Videoguys.com
Old September 20th, 2003, 07:51 PM   #74
Major Player

Thanks for the update! Been waiting for this to come out for a while now, I'm glad vendors are finally getting confirmation of a shipment.

Gary, do you have any word on what the educational pricing situation is for Avid Xpress Pro? Will it still be offered to students like myself?
Old September 21st, 2003, 08:06 AM   #75
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

yes there will be an EDU version of Xpress Pro. We do not yet have final pricing. We've got a sister website and company that handles edu & govt sales. They'll have the new details first.

http://www.specialtyvideosupply.com

Gary

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family